Multi-tool/Pliers

Mr. Grog

FNG
I currently have a multi-tool that weighs around 650 lbs.. I really only use the plier portion of the tool to snap on/remove my havalon blades when they get gummed up.. Any suggestions on another multi-tool to shave some weight..? Not too concerned what it has, tool wise, as long as it has pliers..

Thanks!!

Squirt works better than the gerber dime both are too heavy to carry for changing blades alone. I may try a mini forceps. The dime only has a small portion of the pliers that touch so takes a lot of pressure to hold. I have been trying the outdoor edge razor lite this year because not having to carry pliers makes it lighter. Only downside is the blades are not as sharp and do not stay sharp as long

Flyrod

Lil-Rokslider
If you need pliers, just use pliers!
At the hardware store I saw some mini plier sets. The regular nose pliers from that set now live in my kill kit and weigh a fraction of what my multi tool weigh.
Never was happy with my multi tool…. heavy and always pinched my hand if I didn't hold them just right…

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Might try cut resistant gloves, you can change blades and not worry about a cut finger for about the same wieght

MattB

WKR
If you happen to carry around the finger nail on your weak hand index finger, I would use that rather than a multi-tool to change out Havalon blades. Just as effective, lighter, and probably handier.

LBFowler

WKR
I switched from a full sized leatherman to a leatherman sidekick (0.2 oz heavier then a skeletool, has more tools, and only cost like $20 on ebay), but I decided all I ever used was the pliers and the phillips head. switched to a tiny swiss-tech style tool and a phillips on my keychain. So far I have never missed my leatherman, typically if I need more then what I can do with the micro pliers I need more then a leatherman anyway.
http://www.swisstechtools.com/proddetail.aspx?pid=32
I found this to be the most comfortable of the micro pliers and had the best tool assortment, 2 sizes each of flat and philips and nothing silly. quality isn't great but I couldn't find a similar product in the same size/weight class.
I typically use it to hold a nut while I turn a bolt with the philips tool, or something like force a needle through something too thick for my bare hands. sometimes minor bending tasks.

topher89

WKR
leatherman squirt... it has a couple little screwdrivers but the pliers and the small knife are really what I use.

I bought it as a cheap fishing tool but it is now always with me

kumplocke

FNG
I really like my Charge Tti, I can carry the bits I need for gear that might need tightening. I use the blade and saw quite a bit as well.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk