Multi-tool/Pliers

Forceps and a small pocket knife are the original multi tool. I try not to leave home without them.
You may also like a combo like the leatherman “micra” with forceps or the leatherman “wingman” may work as a one thing solves all idea.

My Havalon is tough to change blades on....maybe a manufacturing defect? Takes a full size Leatherman Fuse which I always carry. Like the knife, scissors, can opener, 3 screw drivers. Not heavy for what it does. I’ve skinned and quartered an elk with the Leatherman. I do also like the the Squirt PS4 Leatherman but find it lacking as a real tool. Good luck.

Kotaman

WKR
I currently have a multi-tool that weighs around 650 lbs.. I really only use the plier portion of the tool to snap on/remove my havalon blades when they get gummed up.. Any suggestions on another multi-tool to shave some weight..? Not too concerned what it has, tool wise, as long as it has pliers..

Thanks!!
I was in this same situation...Bought the Squirt and never looked back.

Has anyone tried the Havalon multi tools? https://www.havalon.com/evolve-multi-tool-2

Might be a way to shave weight and only carry one tool. Can't find the weight listed though.

half the reason people carry a multitool is to have pliers to change havalon blades. doesn't work to well when your pliers are attached to the same knife.

i have an older post at the beginning of this thread about carrying a squirt with a havalon but i've gone back to my old trusty leatherman pst2. they're lighter and more compact than most of the newer leathermans while still being a full size multitool. i can actually fit it down in the havalon case with the knife.

TravisIN

WKR
9a6e97a9b5e5a796f290fa80a2ab2a7f.jpg

Got them at Walmart. They fold up to a the size of a half dollar piece. Weighs 1.5 oz. it was like 3 bucks. I bought it for the same reasons you want, pulling blades if they get stuck. Has a flat head and Phillips head in the handle if I remember right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KitShickers

Lil-Rokslider
Glad to see Im not the only one who needs pliers to get the blades off a Havalon. I thought I was doing something wrong. Is that the case with the Outdoor Edge knife also?

^^^ I have those as well. I can change without, but makes it a bit easier.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

It also keeps the old blade locked safely away. They are a bit pricey though. 4 for about $10, and yes they are reusable. I bought them figuring if I was to get a bad cut while in the back country, it would be from changing a blade.

TravisIN

WKR
Glad to see Im not the only one who needs pliers to get the blades off a Havalon. I thought I was doing something wrong. Is that the case with the Outdoor Edge knife also?

I have not had to use anything on my outdoor edge. They don’t seem to have that issue. At least in the 2 years I’ve used it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Backyard

WKR
Looking for a lightweight (<4oz) minimalist one that has a pliers, saw, & combo screwdriver. Don't need the knife, or tweezer and corkscrew and for cying out loud who needs a dedicated bottle opener? All that is just added weight.

I currently have a multi-tool that weighs around 650 lbs.. I really only use the plier portion of the tool to snap on/remove my havalon blades when they get gummed up.. Any suggestions on another multi-tool to shave some weight..? Not too concerned what it has, tool wise, as long as it has pliers..

Thanks!!
Why not just use the little blade dispenser that comes with the Havalon? It weighs nothing. I ditched my mulit tool years ago and replaced with a small pocket knife. Saved me almost 1/2 pound.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member

I have. Just on elk though. Not sure what the difference is, I’m guessing just more animal equals more gunk?

*zap*

WKR
If all you want is a plier.....vise grip makes some very good small adjustable pump style pliers. Never weighed one but they are pretty light.

Saw Cableas has their mini multi tool for like $5. Considering the very limited use it would get, that might be a "cheap" option. Gonna look at them tonight as I have a meeting there.