Multi-tool?

22lr

WKR
Following this thread for sure, I have had zero luck on this front. Maybe im not buying the right tools because im too cheap, but I havent found one thats decently lightweight and also not a giant PITA. Ive been sticking with the classic leatherman but interested in what other people are finding...

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I carry a small Leatherman Squirt in my repair kit- it’s primary job is replacing Havalon blades, but I’ve used to repair snowshoes before too

won’t work to do an engine swap:D but for hunting and backpacking it’s all I’ve ever needed

SanJuanCutthroat

Lil-Rokslider
Leatherman Skeletool is what I carry. Worth going with the CX version to get 154cm steel for the blade. Depending on the hunt and what repairs I may need to make, I take a select few bits from their bit kit.

Following...

I’ve had the leatherman classic for years, but honestly don’t carry it in my pack anymore. The most useful item on the tool for me has been the pliers. Recently, one of my buddies used the file on his Leatherman when de-burring a piece of pipe on a remote wilderness bighorn sheep guzzler project (I was using a rock for the same purpose).

JLane330

Lil-Rokslider
It really depends on what you need it for. Are you carrying it daily, or is it for packing into a wilderness on a hunt? I have a few different models I like pending on the use.

I also like the Leatherman Squirt for a lightweight, basic option. I have one in my fishing gear too.
I bought my son a Leatherman Juice S2 for his hunting pack. So far it's been a quality, lightweight tool.
Finally, I have a Leatherman Ti I bought years ago...it's quality, but too heavy to live in any of my packs.

I don't use any of them regularly, and don't carry one daily.

I've carried the Leatherman Juice S2 for many years. It's been nice, but the slotted screwdrivers don't lock in place anymore and I can usually only open them if I use a key. I really should send it in for repair or replacement, but I like all the scratches and don't want to let it go if they happen to replace it.

Wrench

WKR
I have a Leatherman ti. It is heavy, but I've used it enough to earn its weight. The saw has quietly cut branches so i could shoot. The pliers have pulled me out of a jam a few times. The file has a diamond side that will touch up a broadhead in short order. Having a glasses screwdriver doesn't seem important....till it is.

I like it enough to pack it in my bino harness incase of emergency.

Highhuntin

Lil-Rokslider
Leatherman sidekick for every day and started carrying a Gerber dime last year to cut weight in the backcountry, it’s tiny but useful, the tweezers were a big selling point for me for some reason

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
I went into Cabelas with the intention to buy a skeletool from leatherman and ended up walking out with a 15$ cabelas brand multi tool. They didn't have a skeletool in stock and the others were heavier. I thought I'd try the cabelas brand and if it was trash I'd just eat the money and get a skeletool... the cabelas brand was smaller and lighter. Going on year 2 with it and for no more than I've used it I'm glad I went with what I did. No doubt I believe the skeletool would last longer and is built better if it was used hard but for the most part my multitool is for working on my bow and then anything I need it for in the backcountry which just hasn't been much. I'm not even sure they make it anymore because I can't find it.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gerber dime, I’ve used at least half of the functions in the field, never regretted carrying it.

I keep a leatherman wingman in my pocket at all times, at home, at work, in the backcountry. After many different multi tools and knives over the years, this one has almost become an extension of me. It has become default for me to look at something broken and know i have pliers, screwdriver, scissors, etc in my pocket at my disposal.