Multi tools, who carries them?

jmez

WKR
As the title says, and which one?

Thinking of getting a Havalon but I'm not changing blades with my fingers, especially bloody fingers. Started looking at some multi tools and some of them weigh 1/2 a pound. Most of the Leatherman and Gerber's are pretty heavy and also overkill. I really like the looks of these CRKT tools. Both very light and appear functional. I may get both of these.

http://www.crkt.com/Lil-Guppie-Black

http://www.crkt.com/Zilla-Tool-Jr-Black-Handle-Black-Finish

Travis Bertrand

Super Moderator
Staff member
I will say changing blades on the piranta can be tricky however gets easier with experience. I used to carry a small multi tool for the blade exchange but now I do not need it.

OP
jmez

jmez

WKR
To each their own. I use scalpels every day. I'm not changing blades in the backcountry with my fingers.

jherald

WKR
Gerber and leatherman both have micro tools with pliers. They weight just a few ounches. That would work for your purpose. They are around 20 bucks most anywhere. Or you could fi d a set of stand alone micro pliers that would weigh an ounce or maybe even less at any hobby shop.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
I carry a multitool with me all the time while hunting. While I don't need the pliers usually to swap blades anymore, I find a full size knife blade is always handy for working joints and what not while taking down an animal and being able to swap tripod adapters and what not with a flathead screwdriver also makes it worth the 4-5 oz to have along. Its nothing fancy at all, but certainly gets the job done and only costs a little over $40. Generally I don't need them until I get an animal down and I start working the joints, but there are times when the pliers or full size blade that is stouter than a havalon is welcomed.

http://www.amazon.com/Leatherman-83...r=1-1&keywords=leatherman+freestyle+skeletool

TheRambler

Lil-Rokslider
+1 leatherman squirt or similar, weighs like 1.9oz. Love mine and varry it everyday, mine has pliers, scissors, small knife, metal file, and a flat and phillips. Not as useful as a full multitool. But is plenty good enough for backcountry use IMO.

7mag.

WKR
I always carry a Leatherman. I usually don't use it, but when I do need it, I'm sure glad I brought it. For me, it's worth the small amount of weight.

trophytaka

Lil-Rokslider
check out Swiss-Tech Micro Max or Micro Plus. Both small multitools that will work for what your wanting to do, however both do not have a knife like Leatherman multitools do.

I've never brought one and don't really plan to. I've knicked myself many times while breaking down an animal, and have never cut myself while changing a blade out. I could see a few uses for it for sure but I'll likely keep rolling without one.

Mike

Manosteel

WKR
I carry a letherman. I actual deboned half a moose with one when my buddy needed some help and it was the only thing I had with a blade.

alecvg

Lil-Rokslider
Always carry a leatherman. I really like the wave. Not only for butchering, as I say a leatherman is a guides best friend!

For day trips/hunts, usually. For backpack hunting... no. I used too, but used it so rarely, that I downsized to a mini and then just quit carrying it all together. Very few uses for a set of pliers or a screwdriver with my hunting gear. The knives aren't that awesome, so I just carry a real one.

If I can't get my kit repaired with some good tape, cord, and a sharp knife, a leatherman probably isn't going to help. If I was to start carrying one specifically for hunting, it would probably be a skeletool or a mini, but I'm more likely to just use a swiss army knife.

That said, if one of my partners want's to carry one... I don't object. :)

Yk

Ray

WKR
I will be using a Gerber Dime. It's only expected use is to change the blades on the Havelon.