Multi-use items

mcseal2

WKR
What items does everyone carry that are multi-use and how do you use them? I’m always looking at ways to carry less to do the same jobs. I do some of this by trying to make my emergency or overnight kit use as many things as possible that are also hunting gear. I put more thought into these things since I started hunting Alaska with a weight limit flying in and no truck to hike out to. Most of my hunting is done as day hunts from a base camp with the potential to be out overnight, so these are based off that.

A few examples I can think of quick I use

I carry 5 sections of a Thermarest z lite pad for sitting on glassing or to put under my torso on an unplanned overnight. I don’t always have it but do if there is any snow or wet ground.

I carry a Vargo BOT instead of a Nalgene. It weighs the same as the Nalgene but is a titanium container I can boil in, and has a wide mouth if I want to cook and stir.

Unless I expect to need rain gear I carry a tarp or poncho that is more multi-purpose. If I need rain gear for a wind layer or for precipitation I’ll take both.

I use the larger 2 person Adventure Medical blankets in my emergency kit as a ground sheet to lay meat on if necessary. I also carry a small second blanket for a fire reflector, as part of a shelter, whatever is needed. Not the 5’x7’ tarp ones, just the thin light blankets.

If I have to have a bone saw for ribs the Bahco Laplander is the best reasonably light one I’ve found that cuts all types of wood well too. There are better saws for just wood, or better heavier saws for both, but this one works on everything.

Drum liners are another good idea, but one I carry less than I probably should.

Trekking poles and tripods are handy tools for building without trees or brush around.

What other ideas are out there?

Attachments

• 60E770A2-D082-4B8F-8F6D-BD12D873CE13.jpeg
    60E770A2-D082-4B8F-8F6D-BD12D873CE13.jpeg
    457.1 KB · Views: 52
  • CB6E3F39-1D96-4928-B044-B7584C249CCD.jpeg
    CB6E3F39-1D96-4928-B044-B7584C249CCD.jpeg
    439.8 KB · Views: 52
Last edited:

Turkeygetpwnd38

WKR
Classified Approved
Zpacks flat ground sheet, DCF, 3oz, I use for laying meat out while processing, emergency shelter, will just tuck under it for quick rain shower, covered a moose overnight while raining, endless uses

Tripod can be used for glassing, shooting, and tent/tarp support, hold an elk leg up while breaking it down solo on an incline with nothing to tie off to 😂

Large dry bag for my food and down layers, to stuff for a pillow, keeps my bag clean packing meat, real bad glassing conditions I’ve put my feet in it and it gives an extra bit of water proof/wind break to the knees

JR Greenhorn

Lil-Rokslider
I have a friend who does the same with those old fashioned hard candies. Dissolve them in water during the day, in vodka at night.

In general for me, I've tended to go the other way, with my gear becoming more specialized to save weight. For instance, I don't carry Nalgene bottles anymore. The Nalgene Cantenes I carry instead aren't as versatile, but I can carry 3x the water for the same empty weight. However, the Cantenes still thread onto my water filter, and I can still soak dried beans in them all day (that is multi-use).

A lot of what I do involves a canoe, and I have definitely used a PFD to help keep warm on land (usually after getting wet). That's not really planning for multi-use items, but using what's on hand to make the best of a poor situation.

We have also often coordinated gear on group trips, again to specialize what we bring in order to minimize weight. For instance bolts only have 2 ends, so we only bring 2 pliers-based multi-tools for the group. That frees up anyone else to carry something lighter. If the plans include fishing, you only really need 1 fillet knife for the whole group. Depending on how you hunt, not every guy in the group would need a full kill kit.

I've seen that go the other way too. Each individual being self-sufficient on gear seems to be big these days, so sometimes you end up with a white gas stove and 3 Jetboils on a trip. Makes no sense.

There are lots of group gear weight savings that are hard to beat. For instance, it's difficult to find 4 small pots that weigh less than 1big one. Same with tents/hammocks; unless your solo kit is really ultralight, a good 4-man tent is probably lighter.

taskswap

WKR
I carry a Havalon Talon which is a very under-marketed and under-appreciated knife IMO. It has much stouter blades than other replaceable-blade options. One has a gut hook and skinning edge that I use for field dressing, one has a straight/serrated edge that I use around camp, there's a fillet blade, and there's even a saw blade. I get a lot of mileage out of this thing. The one big downside is the only sheath you can get for it is just terrible, and there are no good blade carriers. I tape them into folded cardboard sleeves.

I also get a lot of mileage out of Chapstick, which is probably going to make a lot of folks laugh. But in addition to the usual use, it's also a great firestarter addition, a dab on your fingers will help if they're super dry, it helps with chafing if you have a strap or belt rubbing somewhere, and it'll stop pack buckles from squeaking. I always carry like 3 tubes on every trip...