MultiDay Pack into a Day Pack

Doc Holliday

WKR
Classified Approved
Going on a 7 day ranch elk hunt on 11/1 and outfitter says to bring a day pack. They have horses so can come pack the elk out. The only pack I have is a SG6900. I can cinch it down pretty small, but then there are a bunch of straps hanging in every direction. I will be taking my spotter, tripod, etc.....and plan on taking it as a carry on with all my optics. My practical side is telling me to just use the 6900, but the financially irresponsible gear junky in me is looking on Mystery Ranch, Kuiu, etc. at 2300, etc. day packs.

What should I do?

Kotaman

WKR
Buy some "strap tamers" and run with what you have. Nobody goes into daypack mode like SG. Plus, you'll have the extra ci if you need it. This is the reason I have a 6900 AND a 5900. The 5900 gets tiny in daypack mode.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Electrical tape works great to keep straps you aren't using out of the way. Plenty of good day packs out there, probably be more comfortable while riding in the saddle too.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

rustyN

Lil-Rokslider
Good advice above. If you want to be irresponsible and buy more gear, the Hill People Gear Umlindi v2 or Connor V2 would be a great day pack paired with one of their belts (or not if you don't want a hip belt).

Kotaman

WKR
Buy some "strap tamers" and run with what you have. Nobody goes into daypack mode like SG. Plus, you'll have the extra ci if you need it. This is the reason I have a 6900 AND a 5900. The 5900 gets tiny in daypack mode.
Just to be clear...I never follow my own advice. I ALWAYS "err on the side of caution" and buy new gear. :)

wyodan

WKR
Why not get a smaller SG? Like the Solo or Avail. They will work with the frame, unless the 6900 is one of the internal frame models.