multiday with a 22Mag

ScottinPA

WKR
So I'm thinking about a new pack (I already own a Kifaru frame and Mtn Warrior) since most of my hunts seem to be day hunts. That said I still could see doing a 3-4 day trip. I was thinking about a 22Mag and using a drybag on the meat shelf for overnight stuff. Anybody do this?

Yes, I know the Mtn Warrior compresses pretty well for day hunts but don't go bringing logic into this.

pc3

WKR
Honestly, for the small increase in weight why not consider the 44 mag.....no need to play tetrus when packing/unpacking, I have written on here a couple of times that the 44 mag is probably Kifaru's "Malcolm in the middle pack" can manage day trips with ease, and I don't think the small increase in material would bother you.

By the time you glass, snacks, extra layers (when needed) callers etc. you soon eat up the room, and I recall correctly you don't get zippered side pockets on the 22 mag which are great for spotter and tripods if you decide to pack them.

But I see from your perspective if you already have the super large pack in the Mountain Warrior then understand wanting the smaller one. Another option might be the new 357 mag ??

In the same boat. I have the fulcrum and it compresses nicely and I am going using the guide lid for the day stuff but was thinking about the 22 Mag for just day trips. But the fulcrum compresses so well its probably not worth it. Its been great opening the big bag and packing all the meat from a buck down the mountain in one trip.

stump06

WKR
Depends on what all you have to take. You can prolly add a guide lid, Sherman and a few pouches and have everything you need. I don't think id want to put anything other than food in the meat shelf bc I'd be planning on packing some meat out.

OP
ScottinPA

ScottinPA

WKR
Thanks for the perspective. The 44Mag was my original idea to replace the Mtn Warrior - more organization though it wasn't bad finding stuff this year.
Been playing with how I compress the Mtn Warrior more and may have a better solution than how it was configured this year. Needed to order a few more buckles and K-clips.
I did consider adding my guide lid to the 22 mag instead of everything on the meat shelf. Also had the same concern regarding meat. Figured I'd get camp once meat was out.
The 22mag would be nice for day hunts in PA in the ANF. I like to combine spring turkey hunts with training hikes. Probably not enough to warrant buying another pack.

The 22 is a great day pack. I’ve used it for 2/3 day trips. Kinda depends on the type of hunt/ conditions/ gear. I as well like to leave the meat shelf empty. I just got a good deal on a 44 off eBay yesterday. Same seller has another one up for auction now.

The 22 mag is a great pack depending on what your hunting. My hunting buddy ran it one elk season. He filled his tag and loaded up the meat shelf on the 22 mag. I observed him in complete misery for a couple hours hiking out. The pack was not designed to carry as much as he was putting on it. Besides the meat, all of his gear was in his pack was sitting 12-16 inches off of his back which made him have to hunch forward to keep from falling over backward. He has used the 22 mag since on deer and antelope hunts and scouting trips and it has worked great. If you intend to load more than 50-60 lbs of meat on that meat shelf I would suggest a different setup.

Block

WKR
The old 22 has a bit more room than the new one... Iv made it work for 2 days,. 3 is doable with a few pockets (for early archery),, but if weathers cold and you need layers and such, you will want a bigger bag.

OP
ScottinPA

ScottinPA

WKR
Thanks for the comments.

I have some hardware coming and want to mess with the Mtn Warrior again. If I don't get it to a point I like it, I may pull the trigger on a 44mag

gil_wy

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve done 6 days out of my 22 Mag gen 2 in the summer and did multiple 4-day hunts out of it during September. I utilized the meat shelf on the longer trip but had plenty of room for the 4 day trips if I strapped my sleeping underneath the bag. I know most everyone will say go bigger but I had no issues and really like the set-up.

Not sure the 22 mag was intended for this type of hunting, however, doable if you're a minimalist in early season. The 22 mag is a great day pack and I'm very happy with mine, but would never consider it if planning a multiple night stay. As many have mentioned there are much better options out there. With that being said, I did pack about 60-70 lbs of boned out elk meat with mine this year. I though it handled the weight well all things considered.