Mummy Bag vs. Quilt

I am looking into backcountry hunts in the mid to northwest chasing mostly elk. I was wondering pros and cons of a mummy bag vs a quilt. I know that in certain instances a quilt saves weight without the hood but does it make it more difficult to stay warm?

Down vs synthetic?
weight vs comfort?

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

There's tons of these threads already if you search.
I did the quilt thing for a few years but considering going back to bag. Quilt cuts some weight but I kept rolling over in my sleep and would keep being woken up with a draft. I even tried a lightweight bivy and straps for my pad this year. It keeps you plenty warm when it's tucked it but I had too many restless nights where I'd have to wake up to tuck it back in...

OP
B
I did the quilt thing for a few years but considering going back to bag. Quilt cuts some weight but I kept rolling over in my sleep and would keep being woken up with a draft. I even tried a lightweight bivy and straps for my pad this year. It keeps you plenty warm when it's tucked it but I had too many restless nights where I'd have to wake up to tuck it back in...
Thanks for the input. Did you wear a beanie or what did you do to keep your head warm? or was it not a big deal at all?

I’m in that same boat though I think I might try hammocks first because I’m not sure if the issue is as much with the quilt as it is with the pads. I think I might roll less with a quilt as well as have the quilt and under quilt to cover any area that gets exposed.

For a few ounces I'll take the convenience of not having to worry about an errant movement that will introduce heat robbing drafts.

Some people say they feel restricted or claustrophobic in mummy bag yet manage to avoid drafts in a quilt. How they do it, I dont know, but it must be true or I think they'd go back to a sleeping bag.

OP
B
I’m in that same boat though I think I might try hammocks first because I’m not sure if the issue is as much with the quilt as it is with the pads. I think I might roll less with a quilt as well as have the quilt and under quilt to cover any area that gets exposed.

I tried a hammock with a sleeping pad and mummy bag. I can say that it was a bit loud and not too comfortable. If I was to go with a hammock again I would definitely use a quilt and under quilt.

jmb1269

Lil-Rokslider
Take a look at UGQ BANDIT XL. I am running one this season and so far have been very pleased. I Only have about 18 nights in it but it has been great. I will say it has a short learning curve. I went extra wide and tall for a full wrap around function. ...I am liking it more than I thought I would.