Muscle fatigue top of thighs/hip joint with weighted pack hiking - is this normal?

I just started training with a weighted pack (40#) by hiking trails and around the block. I get a muscle fatigue at the top of the thigh under the iliac crest - using the clock directions, if you picture it it’s the muscle that is at the 1:30 position for my right leg and the 10:30 for the left. It gets fatigued very quickly while my quads are still going strong. Occasionally I have to stop and rest for 30 seconds and get going again, but the fatigue comes back very quickly.

This is my first time with a real hunting backpack and weights so I’m wondering if it’s me or how I’ve fitted the belt. I have the belt snug according to the directions from the mfg so that the weight of the pack is supported by my hips. When I start out the belt feels tight but comfortable and feels that way the entire time. But could it be putting too much pressure on those muscles? Or is it me and the need to hike more and get those muscles in shape? BTW on normal hikes those muscles don’t fatigue at all.

gelton

WKR
When you cinch up the belt is it perfectly horizontal with the buckle on top of your belly button? My guess is that the pack needs to be adjusted higher on your back and you are likely starting out with the belt in too low of a position around your waist.

Also how you load your pack has alot to do with it, you want to keep the weight up high in the pack not in the bottom. With 40lbs or less I would recommend having more weight on your shoulders than hips.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
As long as the padding of the hip belt wraps around the front on your iliac crests, it sounds to me like you just need to adjust to packing weight. The muscles in that area are responsible for hip stability, as you take a step with a load more strength is required to stabilize your hip (i.e. prevent the unsupported side of your pelvis from dropping down) than without. When I put 120 pounds on I notice fatigue around my pelvic girdle before I notice it in my legs, with 60 pounds that is not the case.

At only 40 pounds you would have to be using a really bad pack to need the hip belt cinched tight enough to effect blood flow to the muscles under it, and at that point you would be having pain in your skin as well.

Personally, I never put weight on my shoulders for any length of time. All the weight on my hips works well with 120 pounds, and it works well with 20 pounds. In both cases I can slip my fingers under the shoulder harness with very little effort. Plus, weight on the shoulders requires the use of muscles from your skull to your pelvis to transfer the load to your hips. It makes more sense to skip all the extra linkages and go directly to your hips. The shoulder harness is really just there to stabilize the load.

Here is a good video that covers several useful points even if you are using a different pack system.

bryan79

FNG
I was having a similar/same problem with weight in my pack. Tried adjusting the hip belt and how I wore the pack and then I figured out it was from my leather belt I was wearing being compressed. Switched to a marsupial gear stretch web belt and no more pain.

*zap*

WKR
If I understand your location that is the Ilacus/psoas major. Together it is also called the iliopsoas muscle. Hip rotation/flexion.....as we get older hips become very important to keep fit thru exercise.

I find this interactive anatomy reference useful to find things that hurt....

I had similar pain when I first started getting used to weighted pack. Getting rid of a belt and going to suspenders helped a lot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
If I understand your location that is the Ilacus/psoas major. Together it is also called the iliopsoas muscle. Hip rotation/flexion.....as we get older hips become very important to keep fit thru exercise.

I find this interactive anatomy reference useful to find things that hurt....

I read the description as the tensor fasciae latae muscle. As 1:30 and 10:39 would be on the front external to the pelvis as I'm thinking of it and the iliopsoas would be internal to the pelvis with the majority of it being in the back.

Regardless, both are important and both have to work harder when carrying a load.

*zap*

WKR
So, you might leave the hip belt very loose or not buckled and see if you have the same issue.....same weight and distance/pace.

That would tell you if it is the way the belt is interacting with your body....I like my hip belt secure around my iliac crest (points of the hip). I have found a big difference when buckling the belt if I just buckle it or if I pull down on both sides of the belt and get it to wrap my hips and then buckle/tighten. Pack fit/shoulder strap length can be very important and may take some trial and error to get right....

I use center of the belt on the points of my hip more or less..

OP
S
That’s a great interactive site. As far as I can tell it could be one of several muscles, primarily I think it’s the Sartorius and Psoas major...both responsible for hip rotation and stabilization. Sounds to me like I just need to keep working out with the weights in the backpack till those muscle groups build up the stamina I need. Thanks for the feedback everyone.

yakattak

FNG
Making sure your pack is fitted correctly is going to help a lot. Another thing you may consider is easing off the weight a bit. Start off with 25lbs and work into the heavier stuff. I do 90% of my hikes with 35lbs or less. With doing other strength work and running, along with the lighter hikes, I’ve never had an issue when the time comes to carry 50+ lbs. Acclimating to walking with weight is more of a marathon than a sprint.

SDHNTR

WKR
If you were to hop on a bike and go for a 20 mile ride without training or gradually building up to it, your ass would hurt too. This is no different. Train gradually. If you aren’t used to backpacking, start with a 10 lb pack and build slowly from there. Contrary to what all the internet tough guys want you to believe with their “100 pound” packs, 40# is not insignificant!

mahonsr

Lil-Rokslider
There's hurt pain and there's muscle fatigue pain. Hurt pain no - muscle fatigue pain yes. For me I always feel it there while packing out heavy. It's just a very different workout than most of us experience. Plus packs shift, etc.

I have heard that strengthening the core and engaging it throughout the day can help keep a person from overutilizing their hip muscles like the ones that have been described here. In my case there are now hip socket issues that may be the result of bad posture and weak hip muscles. I've talked to a PT who described a lot of core exercises and hip stretching to solve many pains around the inner hip, thigh, and lumbar. I've found moderate success with yoga focusing on those areas and keeping the core engaged when exercising and even when sitting around.

Also heard a medical practitioner suggest carrying concealed firearms in a shoulder holster to avoid too much pressure on the lumbar and hip muscles.