Muskeg 2800 vs 5000

Husky10

Lil-Rokslider
So I’ve narrowed it down to a muskeg... now trying to decided between sizes. To my understanding, a 3k w a lid and some pockets is about the equivalent of a Metcalf or exo 3500 in space?? Would like to see some set ups or see how much ppl are getting in the 3k muskeg. Thanks

machinethomas

Lil-Rokslider
I’m sure a lot will tell you to get the 5K. It’s nice to have the extra room if needed, and it will compress down to nearly the same size. And you can still throw a lid and pockets on it. I went through the same dilemma when I bought my Argali. I was torn between the Markhor and the Argali and went with the bigger bag. No regrets. But if you’re planning on mostly day hunting with a few backpack trips in there the smaller bag is probably fine. They both have the meat shelf and the weights are very comparable as well. I would go with the 5K. My .02

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As mentioned, most people will probably advise you to go for the 5000 because weights are similar and it “compresses great for day mode.”

I personally always try to go for the smallest bag I can get away with. I run the 2800 and can go archery 3-4 days with two belt pouches and can get 5+ out of it with the addition of a lid.

718020b0750930749e5accb8dfcbb292.jpg

610076dc4a8b128cb43b4e7a8b72cb09.jpg

ErikM

FNG
Review of the 2800 by Jordan Budd.

Quote from another thread:
Assuming you’ll want to pack an animal out with it, I prefer a 4-5k ci, and definitely would not go under 2500. I packed a bull out this year with the muskeg 2800 and that first load with all of my gear was kinda a nightmare. Just figuring out where to strap things securely and getting the meat stuffed in. I would have been much better off with a 4-5000 ci bag that compressed well.

Last edited:

ridgerunner22

Lil-Rokslider
I'd go with the bigger bag. Why are you set on the Muskeg? I actually didn't really like it that much and will be selling that bag. The zipper wasn't very smooth and it's just a noisy material especially if you're bowhunting in the mtns and only run one pack for the year.

OP
H

Husky10

Lil-Rokslider
I'd go with the bigger bag. Why are you set on the Muskeg? I actually didn't really like it that much and will be selling that bag. The zipper wasn't very smooth and it's just a noisy material especially if you're bowhunting in the mtns and only run one pack for the year.

I’m more so after the layout than the bag material... like the side zip, the side slits instead of a pals matrix/baffles, and I like the size options. I don’t like the asymmetry of the cavern, I didn’t like the pals matrix on the reckoning—it’s sloppy when the bag is compressed, and I don’t like the zippered sides of the new hoodlum. I’m just picky about the layout of my packs.

UglyJow

Lil-Rokslider
Considering this bag as well. Would appreciate a short review when you get it in. Haven't seen any pics or videos on the 5k besides the official vids. It seems like a smaller bag than the reckoning, cavern, and hoodlum, though they seem to be advertised as in the same volume class.

hernandeztonyb7

Lil-Rokslider
As mentioned, most people will probably advise you to go for the 5000 because weights are similar and it “compresses great for day mode.”

I personally always try to go for the smallest bag I can get away with. I run the 2800 and can go archery 3-4 days with two belt pouches and can get 5+ out of it with the addition of a lid.

718020b0750930749e5accb8dfcbb292.jpg

610076dc4a8b128cb43b4e7a8b72cb09.jpg

What gear are you running in the 2800? I have a reckoning but want something smaller...

I’m considering the same setup so I’d appreciate hearing feedback.

I’m torn between the 5000 and 7000 so anyone with a 7000 please chime in with opinions.

EasilyExcited

Lil-Rokslider
I have the 3k and 7k. The 3k is a great size for 3 or 4 days. The 7k is big enough for more then most people should carry. The 7k is nice to just toss whole elk 1\4s in though

renagde

WKR
I used the 2800 last year in Colorado. I had 7 days of food and I got it all in but it was tight. I was just running the bag with no pouches and no lid. I run ultralight gear and no spotter or tripod. I was wishing for just a touch more space but if all I was doing was 4-5 days it would be perfect.