Muskeg vs Reckoning

Husky10

Lil-Rokslider
Looking at getting a 5k Muskeg or Reckoning... I'm sold on the size of the pack, but I'm just having a hard time deciding between them. I'd like to hear everyone's likes/dislikes about the two--If anyone has any valuable input, I'd like to hear it. Thanks in advance.

I don't have a Reckoning buy my buddy's biggest gripe on his is that he can't get anything out of the side pockets without releasing the tension on the outer straps. As a though a better comparison might be between the Cavern and the Muskeg.

I am looking at both also. One thing to consider is that the Muskeg only can expand to about 5200 Cu. in. without adding any pockets. The Reckoning main pack can expand to 6500 cu. in. plus the side pockets add another 1000 cu. in. The specs above are from the videos and website.

I'm not really a fan of the center zip, or open side pockets but like the pals along the bottom of the pack. backcountryshaffer does have a point with the straps over the side pockets, but I'm kinda use to it from my nomad 1. If the muskeg would of had the pals along the bottom and sides it would be a no brainer even though I really don't need the xpac material.

With the hoodlum coming out, I gonna wait on my decision until I see more of the what it has to offer. That way I might not have buyers remorse.

Last edited:
I love my reckoning. Water bladder hangs on the outside of the bag between the bag and frame. I have a low profile 3L Source wlps that works great and doesn't put much pressure on the bladder so I don't have to worry about it exploding. The main bag is plenty big for me archery through 4th season for at least 5 days but I don't bring the kitchen sink and I don't have many bulky items. I don't mind the middle zipper as my bow riser can ride on either side of it and I think it makes packing and unpacking quicker. I use the side straps to my advantage by putting things I don't need until I get to camp in the bottom of the side pockets and then tightening down the bottom and middle straps, making sure that the middle strap is tight to the main bag. I then put quick grab items in the side pouches so things I need while hiking in to camp are a buckle away in between the middle side strap and the top strap.

My only gripes are the poorly implemented meatshelf (not adjustable like the seek outside or stone glacier packs), how difficult it is to switch the bag and straps around to get into meatshelf mode, and it can be a bit strappy when in day mode. As with anything there are tradeoffs and the good outweigh the bad for me and my style of hunting.

Hope that helps give you an idea of the pros/cons that I've found using the reckoning.

rbljack

WKR
I finally decided on a kifaru bag for my 2018 hunt and went with the reckoning. It worked out pretty good for me. I agree with King of the Rockies about the meat shelf...its not the fastest thing to implement . Like he said though....the pros of the reckoning far exceeded the cons for me. I didn't get to use mine (the meat shelf) but the bag worked great for a 5 day backcountry hunt and held everything I needed. I didn't bring my spotter and tripod so that's something to mention, but I had enough room that I could have packed it. It stayed behind due to overall weight. I ended up using the side pockets to carry my sawtooth/liner in one side pocket, and the poles/Tyvek in the other side pocket. My medium box stove slide right in between the bag and meat shelf along with my water bladder. I am NOT a fan of a water bladder being stored anywhere inside a pack, so the reckoning really appealed to me for that feature (dedicated location) and the center zip. For day mode, that center zip came in pretty handy for me. I also liked having the PALS for side pocket mounting. I used one side pocket as my location for water treatment kit/fire kit. The other side pocket mounted to the side of the bag is dedicated to my first aid kit so its easily/quickly accessible.

You'll want to look at the new Hoodlum. I'm personally not a big fan of the larger Muskeg packs. I just don't quite like the layout besides that offset access zipper. Now the Hoodlum has it. It will be tough to rip the Hoodlum out of my hands.

Hey Jordan why don't you like the larger Muskeg bags? Is it the lack of pockets?

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hey Jordan why don't you like the larger Muskeg bags? Is it the lack of pockets?

Yeah pretty much. If I were going up north or some place really wet I would probably take one. But for my purposes in the lower 48 I prefer some of the other packs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gumbo

WKR
I really like my Reckoning, but I'm not a fan of the side pockets. I wish they ran all the way to the bottom of the bag and didn't have the ridiculous open top. But I pretty much only use them for spotter, tripod, nalgene, or a random quick stuff spot. If I don't have my spotter they are usually empty. The meat shelf does take a little time to deploy, but you only have to do it occasionally, and I've never considered it a big deal. I've run a lot of packs and this is BY FAR my favorite, but I do think a couple of the newer Kifaru offerings look a little better, but I just can't justify upgrading from what works so well.