Musket cap issue

ID2NM

Lil-Rokslider
Ive got a Traditions G4 Pursuit Northwest rifle that I am trying to set up for elk season. Ive been trying to use Schuetzen musket caps since they are more powerful than the CCI multi-use caps. However, they fit loosely on my guns nipple and take 2-3 trigger pulls to get ignition. The CCI ones fit snugly and "go bang" reliably but Im hesitant to trust them on my hunt since they are relatively weak.

Im quite new to muzzleloading so I have no idea what the possible fixes are. Can anyone educate me?

Sometimes the hollow of the hammer cup encompasses the entirety of a musket cap and the force is diffused. I heated my hammer and bent it a smidge so the edge of the hammer cup strikes the cap like a knife blade. Goes off every time now.

OP
I

ID2NM

Lil-Rokslider
I should have mentioned this is an inline, not side lock.

Try a different breech plug/nipple or pinch the German ones a little to get them to stay on, or just go with the caps you've had zero issue with. If the powder is dry and ignition hole is clear, it will go off with the cci the same as the German ones.

WKR
If you are new to muzzleloading, I might suggest that prior to your hunt, fire 2 caps off on an empty chamber. Then run a patch down your barrel, then load it up and roll. I've done that for years to insure there isn't any oil left prior to loading. Good luck to you.

OP
I

ID2NM

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the suggestions everyone. After finally getting ahold of Traditions I’ve learned they highly recommend avoiding Schuetzen caps and instead suggested RWS. I managed to find some on Gunbroker so we’ll see if that solves the problem. If not, a new breechplug is next.

nphunter

WKR
You could also just use the CCI since they work properly, if they fire every time you can't ask for much more. If they weren't effective then CCI would have discontinued them. It's always best to use what works, not what the internet suggests is good or bad.

I gave up on CCI caps a few years ago, at times it took a couple caps to get a charge to go off. I think RWS are far superior. Never had a problem with them. Always go bang.