Musket cap woes...

Wrench

WKR
I had 3x where my rifle FtF'd this year. I tried to chase down the reasons why.

My primary rig is a vortek strikerfire shooting musket caps. I had great luck for 2 years and suddenly things were not going well. I made the shift from CCI 4 wings to RWS 4 wings thinking that would help....that turned out to be very much not the case.

Looking to the WWW for similar stories it was apparent that some have shimmed the nipple closer to the breech face with good results.

Looking at firing pin protrusion on mine, it definitely is not more than it needs, so I elected to increase pin protrusion vs shimming the nipple to reduce the potential of slam fires against the breech face. I pulled the firing pin and added .020" pin protrusion, cleaned and lubed everything and reassembled.

First shot was a dud. Second and third...good, fourth a dud. All RWS caps. I swapped to CCI caps and they all popped and had much more noise to them.....much more.

When looking at the fired and struck caps, it appears that the RWS caps simply suck. These are brand new from the store never been opened or outside containers of RWS. My CCI caps were in the truck and have been for over a year.

My guess is that I bought a bum batch of RWS caps. Anyone have anything to throw my way for other ideas?

Pics of struck primers including one of the duds.20211215_140546.jpg20211215_140606.jpg

OP
W

Wrench

WKR
Here is how I increased the pin protrusion. I pulled .020" from the pin at the stop area.

If you do this on a strikerfire, pay attention to the pin as it is asymmetrical and can be installed upside down. 20211215_133804.jpg