Muskie Hunters Out there

dtrkyman

WKR
Well I am no OG and that question has endless answers.

Find the bait/forage and the musky will be in the area, I like a suick when it's colder, ridiculous looking bait in and out of the water but it flat catches em.

Double Colorado bucktails are popular for a reason, big swimbaits and my favorite is a super top raider when its warm enough!

Pathfinder27

Lil-Rokslider
They call it the fish of a thousand casts for a reason. It’s a fun fish to catch.m and it’s worth every cast when you do hook up. Just keep throwing bait, there’s no such thing as setting the hook too hard, and if you lose one at the boat keep the lure and rod tip in the water making figure 8’s and they’ll bite

Attachments

• 1DBD86CF-83CA-4574-858E-645927C3C13E.jpeg
    1DBD86CF-83CA-4574-858E-645927C3C13E.jpeg
    300.5 KB · Views: 18

netman

WKR
9FEC7EBF-2B19-42B2-9176-8B2DF0C9FB2A.jpeg
Just a smidge under 50”. I was slow trolling a 13” chrome deep diver crank bait over some deep water structure when I took the hit. Both my wife and I were ecstatic when it first blew up by the boat. Caught it at Alexander’s on Rowan lake in Canada.

Scottyboy

WKR
I’ve only caught 1, here is the replica. 55” caught in northern MN (seen bigger ones the same day in the shallows)

My only advice is to cast, cast and cast some more

Attachments

• 1233F3B1-FE29-4725-9F6E-7CD577428DD5.jpeg
    1233F3B1-FE29-4725-9F6E-7CD577428DD5.jpeg
    140.3 KB · Views: 12

KJStechly

Lil-Rokslider
If water is below 50° throw glides that you can work slow or twitch baits. Think small musky baits/ big bass baits

If water is 50-60° throw faster working glides, jointed crankbaits, spinnerbaits and twitch baits

Water is 60-70° start throwing some buck tails

If water is 70° and above, I normally downsize my tackle and start working baits faster because I feel like the fish get lazy so you need a reaction bite. Top water is fun this time of year

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KJStechly

Lil-Rokslider
If water is below 50° throw glides that you can work slow or twitch baits. Think small musky baits/ big bass baits

If water is 50-60° throw faster working glides, jointed crankbaits, spinnerbaits and twitch baits

Water is 60-70° start throwing some buck tails

If water is 70° and above, I normally downsize my tackle and start working baits faster because I feel like the fish get lazy so you need a reaction bite. Top water is fun this time of year

383f5f9e1a59888564ad01806ff7c497.jpg

SoDaky

WKR
Hopefully the Canadian border opens so we can fish m there. Opener in NW Ontario is always the third Saturday in June.likely miss this one I’m afraid. Be the first one missed in decades. 😢

I grew up spending my summer at a family owned cabin/resort on Mille Lacs in the 90s and early 2000's when it was relatively unknown to the musky scene. Before all my thoughts were consumed by western hunting, thorne bros took every dime i had from allowance, lawn mowing, and holiday gifts. I still get out from time to time but not much.

IMO - secrets to success are understanding the structure you're fishing, maintaining good boat control, making as many high % casts as you can, and being on fish during the right times of sun/moon rise and set or wind changes. I've caught most my muskies on bucktails and seem to do better with smaller than the double 10s everyone throws (double showgirl were my go to). Spend a lot of time learning how to catch muskies on figure 8s. It's amazing how many fish can be caught by someone who knows what they're doing boatside.

Edit: its tough to keep up (much less afford to buy) all the new "it" baits. I've been out of the loop for a few years but if I had to start a new tackle box from scratch, my staple baits would be: double showgirl bucktail, large pacemaker topwater, and magnum bull dawg plastic.

Last edited:
OP
BeastOfTheTrees
Just moved home back to where there’s a huge lake tucked into the hills, northern PA, lots of guys talking to me about monster muskies they’ve seen here, catching the itch