Muskrats - It's What's For Dinner

Randy Newberg

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
Wasn't sure if this should be posted in the Video Forum or the Food Forum, given the goal is to show four days of muskrat videos, capped off my one final day of cooking and eating 'skrats. I'll post it here and the mods can move it if they choose.

We took a few days earlier in March to address the muskrat population on a creek I often get invited to for late season duck hunts. The idea was to show another trapping series and then prepare them for a meal differently than we prepped them last time.

Our YouTube channel audience is mostly hunters and I am often surprised by how many misunderstand trapping; something I grew up doing to fund my hunting/fishing. So, I try to mix in some trapping content whenever opportunity allows.

So, here is Day One, out setting a few traps and explaining the damage muskrats do to spring creeks. Wish I had time to get after the seriously like a I did a few years back.

Cheesehead

Lil-Rokslider
@Randy Newberg, loved the video and willingness to bring trapping back into the outdoor conversation. I’d love to have a trapping-dedicated podcast episode or intermediate-level beaver trapping videos. Thanks for all you do for conservation.

OP
R

Randy Newberg

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
@Randy Newberg, loved the video and willingness to bring trapping back into the outdoor conversation. I’d love to have a trapping-dedicated podcast episode or intermediate-level beaver trapping videos. Thanks for all you do for conservation.

Thanks. I'll see what I can put together for those content items. I'm on the road a lot this spring, so the beaver trapping content might have to wait. A podcast on trapping is an easy option.

OP
R

Randy Newberg

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
Day 3: On this second day of checking the traps I can see we are already cleaning up the local 'rats. If it was not frozen, there would be a lot of traveling rats and the catch rates would stay the same.

OP
R

Randy Newberg

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
Day 4: Due to a crazy calendar, it's time to pull these traps, finish with the skinning and butchering chores, then get these muskrat hams over to Marcus (camera guy and wild game cook) for tacos tomorrow.

Shrek

WKR
I guess I’d try some but rats are way down on my list to try. Honestly , the only wild game I tried that was really hard to eat was opossum. Way greasy and strong ! Raccoon was good and squirrel is ok but generally not worth the effort imo.