Must have equipment for Montana Mule deer hunt

Pretty good advice overall but Chapstick and sunglasses? that’s the one thing I never said “man I wish I had my chapstick and sunglasses!” While hunting ne Montana and I lived up there for a few years and have hunted it since the 80’s. I agree with everything else you recommended That just struck me as funny
Lol when you put it that way.

Being from the east I got pretty dried up my first time out west and the sun was something else. It was something I never experienced back home and something now I always have on me!

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Seeknelk

WKR
Pretty good advice overall but Chapstick and sunglasses?😂 that’s the one thing I never said “man I wish I had my chapstick and sunglasses!” While hunting ne Montana and I lived up there for a few years and have hunted it since the 80’s. I agree with everything else you recommended 👍 That just struck me as funny
When snows on the ground and the sun comes out its blinding! To the point Ive seen spots and stayed undercover till clouds came. I now try to throw a cheap pair in most times.
And yes, I've had gnarly cracked, sunburned lips after a few days hunting and wished I had chapstick! Some of us aren't as tough.

Seeknelk

WKR
Shoot a lot. Practice getting into position fast over your pack. I've seen too many guys come out west and not be ready. Calling me, asking if I've seen ammo locally, like a week before coming out😁.
Also, your talking NE Montana right? Not many places worth backpacking in to camp and hunt for days.
Is that what you mean by backpack hunt? Or are you calling wearing a backpack as you hunt, backpack hunting?
Anyway, I would never hunt mulies over east without a spotter myself! But that because I want to get a buck of a certain class usually so I need a spotter. Sure , you might see bucks a full day away. But that's a plan for tomorrow.
But you can certainly hunt with just binos, rifle , daypack and good boots.
Also, sunglasses and chapstick!🤣

jimh406

WKR
I'm not sure where you are planning to hunt, but I'd say the most important thing to bring with you is "good information" that includes ample places to camp/stay and of course, places to hunt.

Do spend some time checking out if the area you plan to hunt has a significant Winter kill or not. You can look that up or call the Regional FWP office. Do keep in mind that just because there are no mule deer there this AM doesn't mean they won't be later today or tomorrow. Mule Deer movement is very wind/weather dependent.

You also need to know where the towns are that you can get gasoline/diesel or food if needed. There can be a lot of distance between towns. Probably not a bad idea to bring a couple of extra 5 gallon cans of fuel.

Also, look up what the cellphone coverage looks like in the area where you plan to hunt. You can buy a pay as you go phone/sim if your phone has no coverage in the area where you plan to hunt.

Plan your driving while the gravel/dirt roads are still frozen. They can be very slick once they are unfrozen if there has been any precipitation.

Cowbell

WKR
I was going to start with boots since I know I will be putting some miles on my feet. I heard a lot of good things about Kenetrek but was leaning toward the Crispi just because there is a local retailer where I can try a pair on therefore making sure they are the right fit.
Crispis are just as good if they fit your foot right, I will suggest a Nevada as they are lighter than most abd boots get heavy quick

Evergreen

WKR
Needle nose pliers or tweezers! There are lots of little noseeum cactus!! Had to pull several out of the backside of my arm! Fortunately I never sat on any!

MNGrouser

FNG
I grew up hunting white-tails in Wisconsin and only started hunting west in the last half dozen years or so. But my western hunting started with mulies in NE Montana. The thing I found that significantly changed my enjoyment from year 1 to subsequent years was practicing at distance. In WI hardwoods 100 yards is a long poke. I simply wasn't prepared for distance shooting when I got there. I spent considerable time at a range with 200, 300 & 400 yard targets before I went back. Knowing I could comfortably make the shot was huge for me.

And because I too was a cheesehead in Big Sky Country, I do have a gear suggestion. Get a range finder. When you are not used to country (and deer) that big, it can be difficult to gauge distances. A quality range finder will shorten that learning curve for you. A) You will know exactly how far away that mule deer buck is standing. If you listened to my first paragraph and have plenty of range time in, you will know exactly what your gun and bullet do at that distance. B) Once you get out west use the hell out of the range finder. Practice, practice, practice. Range does. Range cattle. Range trees. Range everything! You'll get yourself to the point where you can (fairly) accurately gauge distances without the gadget. But if you are an eastern hunter new to the west, you won't start out with a very good internal gauge. At least that was my experience.

Erict

WKR
86879ced-a431-4c01-a349-611424d77157.f030c4a0c39e686f659e50bdfdb2d072.jpeg

jesse1004

FNG
Aleve and more Aleve. I always feel I'm in great shape until it's time to step out of the tent the next morning. Starting to understand why they say 40 is over the hill.

Scoot

WKR
Needle nose pliers or tweezers! There are lots of little noseeum cactus!! Had to pull several out of the backside of my arm! Fortunately I never sat on any!
Wish I could say the same. You know you have a great friend when he's willing to pull cactus needles out of your butt cheek with a Leatherman while in the field!

Bring a pliers and a tweezers!

Kholt456

FNG
Think a 3 season tent at the end of October or early November will be enough in SE Montana with a good bag and sleeping pad? Are there any restrictions on camping on BLM land?

CDS8034

FNG
I didn’t read all the replies so I’m guessing this has already been covered. Boots and a comfortable pack would be my first purchase. Honestly, I wouldn’t bother backpacking in for NE Montana. I would just truck camp. Can cover more ground that way. Bring some tweezers, can be a lot of cactus in that area. I would also recommend bringing trekking poles. I don’t always use them, but they are a life saver when the ground is slick from rain, ice or snow. They also help with the pack out if you are successful. You can do a NE MT comfortably without spending a bunch of money.

PanhandlePilgrim

Lil-Rokslider
Hunt from the truck and leave the backpacking the prairie to Gritty.

Good boots, OnX, a RANGEFINDER, Binos and good dope on your rifle will go a long ways. I'd recommend some kind of shooting sticks or a bipod as well, not many trees to throw your rifle against.

I hunted 3 states last year including MT and it was by far the easiest. Kings Camo clothing if you want something decent but won't break the bank, most days jeans or 5.11 pants will work fine and boot gaiters can be a big help as well.