Must haves for a backpack elk hunt

Jacobo2012

Lil-Rokslider
I would like some tips and pointers on things that should be carried on a backpacking elk hunt? Could be an overnighter or a 3-7 day excursion depending on if I find sign and animals in an area? What are some key things that should be carried? Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mlob1one

WKR
Lots of posts about necessary gear. I'd suggest you search them first, see what you have and how it matches up, and be much more specific.
ie. What state and at what elevaion do you plan on hunting? Archery or rifle/muzzleloader? What is your backcountry comfort level? Solo or with others?

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Search the forums for "elk backpack gear list" and a bunch of similar threads come up with a lot of great info regarding just this subject.

EDIT: Did not intend for that to sound rude, I just knew there would be a lot on this topic from previous posts that you could start reading through now instead of waiting for replies.

Last edited:
OP
Jacobo2012

Jacobo2012

Lil-Rokslider
No worries thank you both it would be solo I have a tent, a pack, a sleep system, cookware, and a stove. I plan on taking mtn houses also have a msr pump style water filter and a gps I have most of the essentials I believe but I will do some more research and narrow it down. I’ve heard there’s no better way to know what you need than to do a few back packing trips and seeing what you REALLY need. It will be my first solo backpacking trip

92xj

WKR
Pack
Sleep system (shelter, pad, bag, ground sheet/bivy)
Water system
Food and cook system if needed for your food
Clothes
Hygiene and first aid
Emergency kit (fire, light, space blanket,etc)
Kill kit
Weapon
Don't get lost devices
Positive attitude

Basic list, but buy everything you think you need within these categories, budget will determine how much weight you end up carrying. Don't take things you will not use.

Scrappy

WKR
On my first trip I skimped on staying dry and warm even though it was a September elk hunt. The weather run me off the mountain. Even if you just have the warmer gear left in the vehicle so you can return and get to continue your hunt.

So the really must have is be prepared for everything so you can adapt on the fly.

Place water in unit before your hunt.(While scouting)Extra food also.
Duct tape and a camera!! More warm clothes than you need.
I forgot,a small tarp.Can be used for anything,rain,drag litter,ground cloth
for cleaning animal,collect rain water...etc. :cool:

I’ve heard there’s no better way to know what you need than to do a few back packing trips and seeing what you REALLY need. It will be my first solo backpacking trip

I’d definitely go on a couple, if not more, backpacking trips with your gear before the actual hunt. Do a group trip first, if possible, with experienced backpackers. This can cut the learning curve and probably some weight as they can advice what is really needed and what is not.

Then, do some solo backpacking trips. A lot of people like the idea of being alone in the wilderness at night, but many do not handle it well mentally.

Synthetic puffy jacket, solid rain jacket, 55gal contractor bag.

Download a bunch of good tunes to your phone and headphones. Nothing better to bring you out of a funk mentally.