-cabelas hunting jacket with 2 layers, light and heavy that can be seperated
-Eddie Bauer puffy vest
-Sitka thin gloves
-2 pairs of prana Zioneers
-cheap wool boot socks
-AGC cub max
-Nikon 10x42 binos
-cheap Simmons Range finder that should do the trick
-calls and a bugle tube (been practicing too)
-100 ft of paracors
-kill kit with tag bags and a knife with changeable bladed with extra blades.
-bonesaw

I am going to have to get some merino base layers for sure
And can’t forget tp and wipes and my hygiene stuff
I may be forgetting some things but appreciate all the feedback

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scrappy

WKR
Salomon 4ds had two pair of these my first time out west. If weather is good and dry I would have had no problem. I really liked them. But weather turned nasty and I had no way to get them dry except in the mornings when they were frozen solid inside and out. If you can find a way to swing for a better pair of footwear even if they just stay in the vehicle for backup.

I also use a quilt that is rated at 10'. I also added to my vehicle backup kit a sleeping bag liner that is supposed to add a few degrees of warmth.

Do the gutless method and you won't need a bone saw for anything.

Thank you all for the feed back
What I have for now
-seek outside goshawk 4800 with flip up lid
-seek outside LBO base vestibule w/ 6 stakes
-20 degree quilt w/ 850 down
-thermarest neo air
-Garmin e trex 20 with idaho chip
-snow peak cooking bowl and pan
-msr pocket rocket 2
-msr mini works water filter
-mountain house meals
-Salomon 4ds with one season on them
-cabelas hunting jacket with 2 layers, light and heavy that can be seperated
-Eddie Bauer puffy vest
-Sitka thin gloves
-2 pairs of prana Zioneers
-cheap wool boot socks
-AGC cub max
-Nikon 10x42 binos
-cheap Simmons Range finder that should do the trick
-calls and a bugle tube (been practicing too)
-100 ft of paracors
-kill kit with tag bags and a knife with changeable bladed with extra blades.
-bonesaw

I am going to have to get some merino base layers for sure
And can’t forget tp and wipes and my hygiene stuff
I may be forgetting some things but appreciate all the feedback

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One pair of pants will be fine. Jacket plus a puffy vest may be overkill unless you get super cold. Leave the bone saw at the truck and take it back in after you carry out the first load. What are you planning to do with the bone saw? Can probably just take 50 ft of paracord and be fine.

Dirtydan

Lil-Rokslider
And the #1 thing needed on a backcountry hunt?????
The right frame of mind. Forget about all the this and that's. Go into it without the right expectations and skill to take care of yourself in the woods and all that "stuff" will just be another gear pile in your man cave. Some of the greatest backcountry explorers walked into the wilds with nothing more than a compass and a potato sack with a little bit of bread and a few taters.

pfraze

FNG
All good comments above. The best thing to have on a back country elk hunt is a good mental attitude. I've been on several back country hunts and I've seen guys in the best shape who lived and breathed elk hunting months prior by getting ready be ready to leave the day after getting packed in. Believe in yourself and enjoy the time afield. Do whatever you can to prepare yourself mentally. A lot of guys take this lightly but I find a back country hunt is a mental game with extreme highs and lows. Prepare yourself and you will have a great time.

Last edited:

techmanil

FNG
Make sure your kindle is fully charged. Nice to nap & read during early afternoon. An added benefit is it keeps your movement down.

P Y Buck

Lil-Rokslider
I agree with Rthru, the pack and boots are the most important, all previous comments however are great, In my opinion the SItka gear is had to beat, add in a Kifaru pack, Meindl Fit IQ boots, Dan Thurston Mid-X tent and you have an awesome start. I am still trying to refine the right sleeping bag as I do not care for mummy bags.
The list is long and experience will refine it. Key is keep it lite.

Would you consider possibly partnering up on a hunt for archery elk in 2019? I have a couple years experience of pack back hunting and many years of base camp hunting. I typically hunt in elevations from 9000 - 10500 ft. I would consider a small base camp if preferred and spike camp from there. I typically cover 5-6 miles per day and if I find elk or elk sign that is where I set up spike camp.

Mattt

Lil-Rokslider
On a serious note, you already have more and better gear than I had for the first 5-6 years. When I got my first generic packframe I thought I was bigtime. The only things you really need are decent footwear, be accurate and confident with your weapon of choice, and have your woodsman/survival skills where they need to be. U really do t need any of that other crap it's just for comfort.