Must haves for a backpack elk hunt

No worries thank you both it would be solo I have a tent, a pack, a sleep system, cookware, and a stove. I plan on taking mtn houses also have a msr pump style water filter and a gps I have most of the essentials I believe but I will do some more research and narrow it down. I’ve heard there’s no better way to know what you need than to do a few back packing trips and seeing what you REALLY need. It will be my first solo backpacking trip

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Water. Is it available to filter? Or will you have to pack it in. A good quality filter is a must for me where water sources exist.

bmf0713

WKR
Yeah. I also say get your stuff squared away at home. Last year when I was in Wyoming my mom was going through some major health problems and I had no phone signal to keep in touch with anybody. I was having the time of my life antelope hunting and trout fishing and she was having her shittiest. I started shopping for an Inreach and bought one when I got back home. $300 and a $11/month subscription for piece of mind is well worth it. If I was having a bad hunt I probably would’ve came home early.

BradNSW

FNG
Synthetic game bags (5 min) and lots of 550 cord. Keep the pack around 40lbs (not including stuff you carry on your body...knife, rangefinder, bow, bear spay, binos) and you're good to go for a week (in teens to 80 degree weather), if you find water to filter. Don't go too deep, solo, in early Sep or you risk losing meat unless you have a packer on call. A lot of good lists out there...