Muzzle Brake - broke

Have a new custom barrel (7mm saum) with muzzle brake - made by the barrel maker- . This morning I bore sighted the rifle. fired 3 rounds. After each round, I checked the bore and scope alignment. Not one round on paper! shoot 2 more, still not on paper. Had my son check the alignment, he said it was fine. I shot another round and the Brake flew off the end of the barrel! It broke just past the threads. I un-threaded what was left of the Brake. Shot 2 more times. those 2 shots were almost touching on paper. This is the first time ive ever used a Brake. My question, was the bullets striking the Brake? It will be Monday before I can talk to the manufacture. Any thoughts??

Salmon River Solutions

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I’m guessing that he forgot to bore the brake to size. That would just shred the bullets and stretch the thread portion until it ultimately failed. Unfortunate mistake. Could have been a lot worse. If the bullet actually stuck in the first port section it couldn’t have built insane pressure.

OP
Thanks for the replies. I was thinking it was too small for caliber.....I assume the exit would be slightly larger than .284?? There is no way a .284 bullet will go thru that hole. I never thought I would need to check that. It was already on the barrel when I received it. This is my second barrel from these folks.

T28w

WKR
That’s scary if someone really put a too small of a break on a barrel. If that’s true, we would have words