Muzzle Brake Kimber Montana

turley

Lil-Rokslider
Looking at purchasing a brake for a Kimber Montana in 6.5 Creedmoor.
Does anyone know what the length and weight of the brake made by Kimber? I called Kimber customer service and they did not have that information.
Additionally, how does the Kimber brake compare to Muzzle Brakes & More 4 port Mini Beast?
Thanks

robie

WKR
The brake is a good radial brake. It works really well on my 7mm-08 Montana.

I will try to pull it out and weigh it. Length is around 1.5 inches.

Sent from my SM-G892U using Tapatalk

OP
T

turley

Lil-Rokslider
Thank you....greatly appreciated.
Good choice with the 7mm-08.

I have experience with both on a 308.

The MBM brake is head and shoulders above the radial Kimber brake, which is to be expected because side discharge brakes are typically more efficient(read: offset/reduce more recoil) than radial brakes. Another advantage of the side discharge brake is predictable recoil... all this comes at a cost of more blast experienced by the shooter... which isn’t a big deal in my opinion because if you’re shooting with any kind of brake you’re gonna 100% need hearing protection... actually you should always use it but that’s for another thread.

Top it off with the fact that there’s not much of a price difference between the two and yeah, I wouldn’t waste time with the kimber brake.

I did not weigh them, but I can tell you the MBM brake is heavier. I wouldn’t call it a deal breaker though.

edit- noticed a guy asking about the mbm on a 280ai - I also have one on a Subalpine in 280ai. Both rifles shoot like absolute pussycats. The 308 was snappy as hell before the brakes. I didn’t bother trying the 280 without a brake but to be honest it somehow kicks less than my 308 does shooting heavier bullets and burning more powder.

Agree with this^^^. I have a couple Kimber rifles with the stock radial brakes (.270win., .308), and one side ported brake for a Montana chambered in .300wsm. If you're not 100% sold on the radial break, I would suggest checking out Ross Schuler's side port brakes. He does several different styles, 3 port, 4 port, etc., out of 416 stainless. The brake on my .300 is approx. 2" long, maybe a little less, and it weighs exactly 2 oz. Fit and finish is great, and he only charges $37 shipped. (208) 590-1843
1586619979610.png

Last edited: