Muzzle brake on a backpack rifle (300 win mag)?

I recently purchased a Ruger American in 300 Win Mag (24" barrel, 8.9lbs scoped). It is one of their Go Wild versions that comes Cerakoted with a factory brake on it. I was going to take it off and replace it with a thread protector, like I did with my Ruger American 450 Bushmaster, but turns out these cerakoted rifles don't come with a thread protector.

I'm wondering if I should leave the brake on, or order a factory thread protector and have it cerakoted to match the barrel? I've heard that hunters/guides despise hunting with someone with a brake on. Are those days past?

One of the reasons I pulled the muzzle brake off of the 450BM is that the concussive muzzle flash/blast from that 16" barrel was worse than the recoil for causing flinch. As is, un-braked, I can shoot the 450BM all afternoon.

Before I take it to the range to zero, I'm wondering if I should take the brake off. I plan on hunting with ear protection, but you never know when you might forget it, or have to take a shot fast.

Ucsdryder

WKR
answer this question…

You’re walking through thick timber and a BIG 6x6 bull stands up at 50 yards and starts trotting away. Are you passing the shot because your plugs aren’t in? I personally can’t help myself, and shooting in thick timber with a braked rifle is an ear killer.

I am a “no brakes” guy myself. As far as the thread protector goes, I wouldn’t worry about it matching the barrel. Just buy a blued one and screw it on.

Last edited:
1. Get a suppressor.
2. If hunting Canada, and you can't use a suppressor, the guides there seem like muzzle brakes are more typical for their clients than not. They're use to them.
3. I hate muzzle brakes. I'd much rather deal with a nice kick than the concussion from muzzle brake and noise. I was just hunting with an X-bolt in 338WM and was very happy it didn't have a brake. With the nice recoil pad and nice balance, recoil really wasn't an issue in field positions and hunting scenarios.

WCB

WKR
Get a thread protector and who cares if it matches your rifle. I despise brakes. And yes as a guide I hated them.

The argument that brakes will damage your hearing is pretty weak since shooting an un braked 300 WM with out protection will still damage your hearing. Anything roughly over 70 DB can cause hearing loss/damage.
NO body is saying shooting without a brake won't damage your hearing...but there is zero denying that a braked rifle is much louder than an unbraked rifle.

Choupique

WKR
I recently purchased a Ruger American in 300 Win Mag (24" barrel, 8.9lbs scoped). It is one of their Go Wild versions that comes Cerakoted with a factory brake on it. I was going to take it off and replace it with a thread protector, like I did with my Ruger American 450 Bushmaster, but turns out these cerakoted rifles don't come with a thread protector.

I'm wondering if I should leave the brake on, or order a factory thread protector and have it cerakoted to match the barrel? I've heard that hunters/guides despise hunting with someone with a brake on. Are those days past?

One of the reasons I pulled the muzzle brake off of the 450BM is that the concussive muzzle flash/blast from that 16" barrel was worse than the recoil for causing flinch. As is, un-braked, I can shoot the 450BM all afternoon.

Before I take it to the range to zero, I'm wondering if I should take the brake off. I plan on hunting with ear protection, but you never know when you might forget it, or have to take a shot fast.

Ditch the brake and shoot lighter loads if the recoil bothers you. The muzzle blast from a braked 300 is brutal.

Don't make the mistake of sighting in with it and hunting without it. Your POI can change drastically with vs without it.

KenLee

WKR
Get a thread protector and who cares if it matches your rifle. I despise brakes. And yes as a guide I hated them.

NO body is saying shooting without a brake won't damage your hearing...but there is zero denying that a braked rifle is much louder than an unbraked rifle.
Anyone other than me had one braked shot hunting burst an eardrum? It's no fun.

Anyone other than me had one braked shot hunting burst an eardrum? It's no fun.
Today I was at the range shooting my SHORT 17 inch 7 saum, and accidentally took a shot with my ear pro off my left ear. Im pretty sure I did some sort of serious damage to it. My hearing sounds like a broken speaker when I hear most noises, its obviously ringing and feels plugged, an I can hear well out of it.
I have accidentally shot with other rifles before without ear pro, but not a short magnum like this. Im wondering if I permanently damaged my ear today.

What was it like when you burst your ear drum? Symptoms, did your hearing/ringing recover?

KenLee

WKR
Today I was at the range shooting my SHORT 17 inch 7 saum, and accidentally took a shot with my ear pro off my left ear. Im pretty sure I did some sort of serious damage to it. My hearing sounds like a broken speaker when I hear most noises, its obviously ringing and feels plugged, an I can hear well out of it.
I have accidentally shot with other rifles before without ear pro, but not a short magnum like this. Im wondering if I permanently damaged my ear today.

What was it like when you burst your ear drum? Symptoms, did your hearing/ringing recover?
Loud ringing. Felt like a hot poker stuffed down in my ear/ through my eardrum. Pressure for weeks.
Probably permanently lost 30% hearing in that ear from just that one shot.

11boo

WKR
I hated shooting my 300 till I braked it. You will want ear pro.

I just roll with my range muffs, but it would be bad if it was warm out. That would push me into buying some in the ear active protection.

3A862E8D-851F-40EF-9FBA-350756C6CC1F.jpeg

Loud ringing. Felt like a hot poker stuffed down in my ear/ through my eardrum. Pressure for weeks.
Probably permanently lost 30% hearing in that ear from just that one shot.
Damit it. That sucks.
Yeah I'm in the same boat. No real pain per say. But I think I did permanent damage.

Jr4

Lil-Rokslider
I only shoot with a brake, yes loud, if I have time I use ear plugs for sure, but if it’s a fast shot I don’t feel recoil or sound 🤷‍♂️
I also tell anyone around me that I’m going to shoot so they can cover there ears or plugs

JCohHTX

FNG
I like a brake on my 300wm. It lets me practice with it for longer at the range, and I keep it on for hunting so nothing changes. I just keep those 3M or Howard Leight banded orange ear bands around my neck all the time while in the backcountry. Pop them on for my shot. I bring extra for my hunting companion. They weigh next to nothing.

Last edited: