Muzzle Brake on a Hunting Rifle

Some of you folks might have seen my thread on LRH Forum about this topic but I’d like to get feedback here. I’ve considered putting brakes on my hunting rifles so I can spot my shots when hunting. The dilemma is I hunt in Tennessee and some hunts I will be over a large ag field with long shots or I may be in a treestand in the woods. I’d prefer not to wear hearing pro when hunting.

I hunt a lot with a 6.5 Creedmoor because it is a good round for whitetail. It doesn’t have much recoil to begin with so a muzzle brake may help spot shots but I bet it’s loud with a brake.

Do you brake your hunting rifles and hunt with hearing pro or hunt old school without a brake.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Salmon River Solutions

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I have brakes on all of my hunting rifles. I did before I started making my own brakes. I carry hearing protection but don’t always get to use it in time. A lot of guys are using the electronic ear buds you can just leave in. I don’t think a muzzle brake makes a rifle any louder. It will redirect the concussion though.

CO2130

WKR
There’s almost no reason to not use a brake in my opinion. Also almost no reason not to use hearing pro, that’s goes for around any loud noises though... so yes all of my hunting rifles have brakes and the only time I’ve not worn hearing pro while shooting them is when I jumped a bull in some thick timber.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tried a break for the first time last year. It is nice, until you forget your hearing protection. Previously I have tried to use hearing pro while hunting but always get caught up in the moment and forgot to put it in. I forgot to put my ear pro in at the range once last year while using the break and I never want to do that again. I took my break off after that.

JLane330

Lil-Rokslider
Both, but most recently with brakes. I use those simple orange headband looking earplugs, carry them on my bino case so they're ready. I have yet to have an issue with having enough time to put the ear plugs on, takes very little time. I hunt with a rifle like I do a bow, quietly and am not shooting at spooked or running game.
An issue that I was worried about, but haven't had any issue with personally, is when shooting prone in the dirt. I was worried about dirt getting blown everywhere. The brake I have used doesn't have ports directed down (not a radial). Thinking I want to change out my radial on another rifle for something similar for that reason.

Antares

WKR
My hunting rifles are braked. I wear those earplugs on a plastic band around my neck. If you haven't got 2 seconds to put your plugs in, you're moving too fast, IMO. I like to be calm, deliberate, and methodical. Putting my plugs in is part of the routine. When you get excited and rushed, that's when things get western.

I want to hear the birds when I'm old. I've pulled the trigger with no ear protection enough for one lifetime. I don't do it anymore. It's part of the game for me now. If I can't get my plugs in and "do it right", it wasn't meant to be.

Wetwork

Lil-Rokslider
Shot my buck at 250 yards this year with my 6.5CM. I'm breaked and didn't even notice. Basically what you'd call a hip shot. Poof there he was, I pulled up, snicked off the safety and boom. Waited a few minutes and then started booking it up to the site. If it rang my bell I didn't notice?

I always wear hearing protection, it was hanging around my neck. But...needs must when the devil drives. I didn't have time to put them in. But...after the gutting and hanging, and late that night as I laid down in bed, thankful., my ears simply weren't ringing. Double blessing I guess. My ear's ring most of the time, from a loud past, but not that day. Always wear ear pro...

If you're worried about it that much pony up and get a suppressor, it will do all you ask, for the price of good quality scope.-WW

MrSunday

Lil-Rokslider
I hunt with a brake. Mostly because I want to be able to see my bullets flight and splash. Recoil reduction is a plus too.

I have them on my 30 06, 300 Win Mag and 28 Nolser rifles. I can't see the shot but the reduction in recoil makes these a pleasure to shoot. But, as others said be prepared for the noise and muzzle blast!!!!!!

Going to get one from LivetohuntID as soon as I can figure out the goofy sized threads on my Browning 28.

LightFoot

WKR
I like the brakes for being able to spot impacts. I wear earpro with or without a brake. I keep foam plugs in my bino harness and a pair squeezed between scope and base.

The best solution is a suppressor/silencer. The consequences are increased length and weight. The reward is (mostly) hearing safe and managed recoil.

>>>----JAKE----->

Felix40

WKR
I wanted a brake on my 300 wsm pretty bad at one point. Now I’m glad I didn’t spend the money for one. I’ve had a bunch of shots that were too quick or in too awkward of a position to put plugs in. Even without a brake I can tell it’s not good for my ears.

Fire_9

WKR
You guys shooting muzzle brakes without hearing protection are absolute fools. It’ll catch up to you one day and then it’ll be too late. Something people don’t think about is their hunting partners. It’s all fine and dandy if you the shooter realize you need them but you’ll feel like a dick when you permanently damage your buddies hearing while he watched you shoot a buck.

To answer the original question, a muzzle brake will absolutely help you spot your shots. If you are not willing to wear hearing protection, I strongly suggest you look into a suppressor. If you’re not willing to go the suppressor route, make your rifle heavier. A 15 lb creed is a dream to shoot. If you’re not willing to carry a heavier rifle, learn how to shoot your rifle like it’s meant to be shot (this should probably be the first solution). You should have no problem spotting impacts with a creed if you have proper fundamentals. If you’re not willing to learn proper fundamentals, drop down in caliber to a 6 creed, 243, or a 6 br variant. Any of the 6 mm’s will serve you just fine on WT.

Although a muzzle brake will reduce recoil on the 6.5 creedmoor it isn't really necessary to spot your own shots with that caliber. I use muzzle brakes on my hunting rifles however I hunt open country and rarely have a situation where I don't have time to use hearing pro. Depending on your hunting scenario you may not have the time to protect your hearing and make the shot.