Muzzle Brake or not?

I have been shooting my 6.5 PRC without the brake and recoil is fairly light. When I used the brake the recoil was super light. Accuracy seems to be the same with or without brake.

What is everyone’s thoughts on not using the brake when hunting?

I always prefer to wear ear protection but must admit I’ve taken a shot on the fly without them. My assumption is shooting with a brake or not you really need ear protection always.

I am going to start hunting without the brake and think that it only makes sense on the larger calibers.

What does everyone else prefer for their hunting setups? I don’t have a surpressor.

Thanks!

Last edited:

HuntnPack

WKR
1st priority is hearing safety !! Hearing loss is non recoverable. Make wearing hearing protection a habit & part of your shooting routine. Wear hearing protection at all times
Braked, Un-Braked, or Suppressed.
Consider trying electronic ear bud type
Hearing protection.
2nd to the above is to consider accuracy
With or without a brake & how a brake affects you personally.
A brake can help manage recoil & allow you to better spot hits. But for some the concussive effects can cause adverse shooting effects.
Also consider getting a dedicated suppressor at some point if possible.
mount it on your rifle & leave it on.

Last edited:
OP
Kyle Wheeler
1st priority is hearing safety !! Hearing loss is non recoverable. Make wearing hearing protection a habit & part of your shooting routine. Wear hearing protection at all times
Braked, Un-Braked, or Suppressed.
Consider trying electronic ear bud type
Hearing protection.
2nd to the above is to consider accuracy
With or without a brake & how a brake affects you personally.
A brake can help manage recoil & allow you to better spot hits. But for some the concussive effects can cause adverse shooting effects.
Also consider getting a dedicated suppressor at some point if possible.
mount it on your rifle & leave it on.
Very helpful thank you. Agreed hearing is most important. I wear orange ear plugs that sit on my neck now every time.

Any suggestion for suppressor for hunting?

B23

WKR
Very helpful thank you. Agreed hearing is most important. I wear orange ear plugs that sit on my neck now every time.

TBAC Ultra 7 is about as good as it gets and with their new Gen2 version they even got a little better. I'd be hard pressed not to go TBAC Ultra 7 but if for some reason I didn't I'd probably give a real strong look at the Banish 30 and I've gotta give it to Silencer Central because they have about the slickest purchase program of anyone I know.

Jordan86

FNG
I’m running the snowy mountain brake and I really like it. I have been more pro active with hearing protection since running it. I run the surefire earplugs around my neck when I’m getting close on a stalk and always have back up foamies in my bino harness. The SF ear plugs come in a nice compact plastic case that always stays in my pocket. I did end up shooting one elk this year without my ear pro because I had a short shot opportunity. It was pretty loud but wasn’t the end of the world. I pulled my wool cap down over my ears before I shot and that seemed to actually help quite a bit.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Hearing protection and make sure your hunting partners are prepared for it.

Thunderbeast Ultra 5 or 7 is the go to for precision. I have a YHM Nitro 30, its nice but heavier as its steel. Definitely go titanium. SiCo Harvester is another excellent option.

Really, there is very little reason not to go with a suppressor.

WKR
Once you shoot suppressed, you always wonder why you didn't start years before. At least the kids got an early start on protecting their hearing. TBAC for me, those new lighter ones look even better.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
I really like shooting with cans. But for the heavy kicking rifles, I still prefer a good muzzle brake.

HuntnPack

WKR

For your 6.5 PRC & hunting use, you may
Consider a lighter/short model or a reflex design.
I use a GAP Jäger 6.5 model.
Reflex design, 6” long but only adds 4.5”
To the overall barrel length, 7.0 oz
Works Great !!
Also Grizzly ears Predator Pro

Last edited:

B23

WKR
Once you shoot suppressed, you always wonder why you didn't start years before.
Ain't that the truth! The process, before you actually dive off in it, appears to be a lot more involved and a PITA but once you actually get started you find out it's not nearly as difficult or a PITA as you maybe once thought and like 30338 said you'll be left wondering why the hell you didn't do it a lot sooner.

Ryan Avery is correct, nothing tames a rifle down like a good brake and they obviously don't add nearly the length but suppressors do a pretty decent job and I think they also give kind of a mental perceived reduction because they eliminate the vast majority of the blast. Not sure if I explained that very well but hopefully it sorta made sense. :)

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Yep, my nasty recoiling 9 pound 6.5x47 slinging 140s at 2700 fps is a handful. I still just suppress it and grit my teeth.
I have an 8.5 pound 30 Noser. No way I am shooting it with a can. I also don't like the long recoil pulse of a can.

WKR
I was just joking. I don't have any heavy recoilers left. Had a braked 8 pound 340 Roy and it was tolerable other than the noise abuse, had a braked 375 Roy also. For my 30/06 and down rigs, the suppressors are fantastic and do all I need doing.

Id say brake all day long on a mtn rifle for above timber or vast open areas where you have time to set up shots, non for thick timber where you may prefer no hearing protection, lesser ranges and possibly using smaller calibers with less recoil and powder charges. although....Hearing problems are a real deal and constant ringing isn’t any fun, ill never shoot my braked rifles without hearing protection due to permanent hearing loss I already deal with from work and being careless target shooting. With saying that... Brakes help/make shooting big cals fun, allowing proper technique watching bullets path and impact through scope and dosnt hurt your body. I could shout magnums all day long and never feel my rifles bark with a good brake. Good luck.

OP
Kyle Wheeler
TBAC Ultra 7 is about as good as it gets and with their new Gen2 version they even got a little better. I'd be hard pressed not to go TBAC Ultra 7 but if for some reason I didn't I'd probably give a real strong look at the Banish 30 and I've gotta give it to Silencer Central because they have about the slickest purchase program of anyone I know.
Very helpful I will look into these! Thanks so much.

OP
Kyle Wheeler
I’m running the snowy mountain brake and I really like it. I have been more pro active with hearing protection since running it. I run the surefire earplugs around my neck when I’m getting close on a stalk and always have back up foamies in my bino harness. The SF ear plugs come in a nice compact plastic case that always stays in my pocket. I did end up shooting one elk this year without my ear pro because I had a short shot opportunity. It was pretty loud but wasn’t the end of the world. I pulled my wool cap down over my ears before I shot and that seemed to actually help quite a bit.
I’ll check out the sure fire earplugs. Thanks for the info and congrats on the elk!

OP
Kyle Wheeler
Hearing protection and make sure your hunting partners are prepared for it.

Thunderbeast Ultra 5 or 7 is the go to for precision. I have a YHM Nitro 30, its nice but heavier as its steel. Definitely go titanium. SiCo Harvester is another excellent option.

Really, there is very little reason not to go with a suppressor.
This gives me some good options to research thank you! I’ll look at titanium. I’m using a Bergara ridge 6.5 PRC so having a silencer would make weight even more of a factor. The ridge is slightly heavy but not bad. Thanks for the Info!!

OP
Kyle Wheeler
Once you shoot suppressed, you always wonder why you didn't start years before. At least the kids got an early start on protecting their hearing. TBAC for me, those new lighter ones look even better.
This makes sense. I’m definitely looking for lightweight thank you!