Muzzle Brake:
giphy.gif

Suppressor:
giphy.gif
Haha this is a good visual!

OP
Kyle Wheeler
For your 6.5 PRC & hunting use, you may
Consider a lighter/short model or a reflex design.
I use a GAP Jäger 6.5 model.
Reflex design, 6” long but only adds 4.5”
To the overall barrel length, 7.0 oz
Works Great !!
Also Grizzly ears Predator Pro
Really appreciate it. 7 ounces seems about perfect.

OP
Kyle Wheeler
Id say brake all day long on a mtn rifle for above timber or vast open areas where you have time to set up shots, non for thick timber where you may prefer no hearing protection, lesser ranges and possibly using smaller calibers with less recoil and powder charges. although....Hearing problems are a real deal and constant ringing isn’t any fun, ill never shoot my braked rifles without hearing protection due to permanent hearing loss I already deal with from work and being careless target shooting. With saying that... Brakes help/make shooting big cals fun, allowing proper technique watching bullets path and impact through scope and dosnt hurt your body. I could shout magnums all day long and never feel my rifles bark with a good brake. Good luck.
Great info thank you! Biggest rifle I shoot is 7mag and recoil isn’t bad. I could see bumping up to 300 win mag and above where a brake could be beneficial. Watching the bullets impact is another good point.

JakeB2010

FNG
I shoot and hunt with a brake on my semi lightweight 7mag. I love that I can see the impacts and that the recoil is non existent however the down side to hunting with it is that it could potentially cost me a quick shot opportunity as I am adamant about ear protection and will pass on a shot if I can't get them in fast enough. I wish it were as easy as unscrewing it before I hit the field but doing so causes my zero to shift 1" down and to the left so I keep it on. Pros and cons to both sides.

I am building a 7mm WSM and I’m planning on putting a side port brake on. My question is this. How much of a difference is there between a 3 port vs a 4 port? I want to save some weight and length so I’m considering a 3 port. Also, is a 3 port somewhat quieter? I know it won’t suppress recoils quite as well but that shouldn’t be a problem with my 7 short.

I am building a 7mm WSM and I’m planning on putting a side port brake on. My question is this. How much of a difference is there between a 3 port vs a 4 port? I want to save some weight and length so I’m considering a 3 port. Also, is a 3 port somewhat quieter? I know it won’t suppress recoils quite as well but that shouldn’t be a problem with my 7 short.

Yes a 3 port will be fine if it’s a good design. There’s a difference between a 3 port and 4, but a 3 port will do a pretty good job for a 7 WSM. I doubt you’d notice much of a noise difference between a 3 and 4 port. Again, it all depends on port design...

rrMT

FNG
Very helpful thank you. Agreed hearing is most important. I wear orange ear plugs that sit on my neck now every time.

Any suggestion for suppressor for hunting?
This year was my first year hunting with a suppressor, I went with the sico omega 300 weighs about a pound and adds 6" so it's a little long but I honestly got used to it, I doubt I will ever hunt without it, steep hikes, thick timber, still really worth it, most time I don't have my rifle on my shoulder in thick brush anyway so added length wasn't too big of deal, I can't tell difference in recoil reduction between break and surpressor, really effective. I weigh 145lbs and can shoot a 300 with a can on it all day long without developing a flinch.