Muzzle brake

mac53

FNG
I just bought a new muzzle brake for my 300 win mag it is a radial brake.
And my question is do you guys use blue lock tight to install them or do you just screw it on tight and let it be?

hnguy061

FNG
I have found that a properly timed and torqued muzzle brake doesn't really get loosened when taking shots at the range, or packing in/out with the occasional shot at game. So I don't use loctite at all when running muzzle brakes.

That said, don't really use a muzzle brake anymore for some weight/length savings on the rifle, which added 6oz and ~3" to my rifle. Not to mention it being much louder. I don't mind the recoil of keeping it off during the hunt.

OP
M

mac53

FNG
Do I need to torque it to a set amount?

It has ports all around it so does it need timed?

I put it on hand tight is that sufficient?

Sorry for the rookie questions but I have never installed one before.

sportsmans challenge

WKR
Classified Approved
You shouldn't have to torque the hell out of it. If you have a brass rod that can go through baffles you can get it hand tight then just a little more with the brass bar. If you don't want to do the brass bar, go hand tight and add a little locktite.

Baffle muzzle brakes may be easier to tighten as they may have flats or atleast more room to get a bar into. You could use a strap wrench if really worried on the radial.

I think the crush a smish will use when timing is like fromm 11 o'clock to top dead center