Muzzle breaks

BuckSnort

WKR
I have never had a muzzle break on any of my rifles so I'm kind of wondering about real world felt recoil with and without..

I have a Model 70 Classic Stainless 300 WinMag that I'd like to shoot more now that I'm venturing into twisting turrets and learning long range shooting.. Don't get me wrong, I have killed a few handfuls of deer and one elk with the rifle but it is just not fun getting hammered shooting 20+ rounds at a time at targets..

I'm thinking about having a brake installed but am wondering just how much difference it will make?

What would a 9lb rifle in 300 WM with a break compare to? maybe a 270?

Do you think I'd be able to see impact with the brake?

A brake would definitely tame the 300win down. Get yourself a muzzlebrake from muzzlebrakesandmore.com. Nathan builds an awesome brake and you will be able to spot impacts also.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Brakes are not all the same. If you put on a Slayer or Terminator brake it would feel like a .243 IMO.

My wife is little and can shoot a 9.5 pound 338 Lapua as much as she needs too with the T3 break.

But they are LOUD!

JigStick

WKR
My 300wm with VIAS brake kicks less than a 308. Obnoxiously loud though. Now I shoot suppressed. Yes muzzle brakes can greatly reduce recoil on a 300wm

OP
BuckSnort

BuckSnort

WKR
Thank you all for the input, sounds like a break is worth it..

Brakes are not all the same. If you put on a Slayer or Terminator brake it would feel like a .243 IMO.

My wife is little and can shoot a 9.5 pound 338 Lapua as much as she needs too with the T3 break.

But they are LOUD!

Thanks Ryan, The Terminator was one I was looking at.. After I read your reply I did a little digging on the net and found this video of a 300RUM comparing to a .243 (just like you thought) ... Man, I'll be super happy with that kind of reduction..

Now I guess I gotta talk to a smith and see what he will charge to thread my bbl and fit the brake, cause I dont have a clue of which size or thread count to order...

Is there any thing else I should ask a smith before ordering?

sportsmans challenge

WKR
Classified Approved
On your rifle a terminator t2 would be perfect, if you had a larger dianeter barrel a t3. Very effective with large capacity cases especially. Have ran a t1, t2 and t4 and never had any regrets.

Check out www.bertrambrass.com for terminator brakes. Quantities will update again soon as they come in quick

OP
BuckSnort

BuckSnort

WKR
On your rifle a terminator t2 would be perfect, if you had a larger dianeter barrel a t3. Very effective with large capacity cases especially. Have ran a t1, t2 and t4 and never had any regrets.

Check out www.bertrambrass.com for terminator brakes. Quantities will update again soon as they come in quick

Thanks for the suggestion.. So the difference between a t2 and t3 is just diameter? Or does the t3 reduce more recoil?

ramont

Lil-Rokslider
Brakes are well worth it, for the life of me I could never understand the comments about how loud they are. From the shooter's position there is very little difference and if you are wearing hearing protection (as you should be) you won't notice the difference at all. If you don't wear hearing protection then just give it a little time, you'll eventually loose your hearing and get tinnitus so you won't hear anything anyways.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Brakes are well worth it, for the life of me I could never understand the comments about how loud they are. From the shooter's position there is very little difference and if you are wearing hearing protection (as you should be) you won't notice the difference at all. If you don't wear hearing protection then just give it a little time, you'll eventually loose your hearing and get tinnitus so you won't hear anything anyways.

Mainly this is a problem at a shooting range. But also on a long-range shot when a spotter is not able to get behind you. You torch off a big magnum and someone is on the side of it, oh they hear the difference hearing protection or not.

I have a Tikka T3x in 7mm Rem mag and I have the APA micro bastard on there (gun is completely stock except brake so it's pretty light). Significant recoil reduction and that is the smallest brake APA makes. I can put 50 rounds down the barrel in an afternoon shooting from prone position without any shoulder soreness. Literally has less recoil than my 243; I've shot one right after the other and compared. Pretty damn loud though.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor

I find there is a big difference as the shooter between my braked 300wsm (MBM brake) and unbraked 280AI in terms of volume, I hunted my 280AI, 30-06,7-08 without ear pro and that would be a light ringing, I shot the braked 300wsm without ear pro before and it was painful and rang my ears in a much louder and longer (louder most of the day) noticeable way. Keep in mind I already have tinnitus and I am saying the brake hurt my ears in a noticeable way.

I was already trying to get into the habit of hunting with ear pro, it’s mandatory with the brake in my opinion.

Reburn

Mayhem Contributor
I agree with pods8. I wont hardly use a brake. Sometimes they even ring my ears if I'm only shooting with light ear pro.

I love muzzle brakes!

Nearly everything I shoot has one - they're cheap, and its awesome to be able to spot your shots. Its also awesome to be able to shoot the bigger guns without having to worry about developing a flinch.

With that said, you absolutely have to wear hearing protection.

You'll get a lot of nay-sayers who hunt without them(and thats okay) and they make out like shooting without hearing protection doesn't damage your hearing... I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but hearing damage is cumulative. Even though it seems like your hearing goes back to normal, each shot you take with a rifle without hearing protection permanently damages your hearing. Thats not to say it isn't worse braked - it is - if you care about your hearing, you should be wearing them every time. I've yet to miss an opportunity due to taking time to put my ears in, and I'd venture a guess that most people have time to put them in even if it doesn't seem like it. Sorry for the rant, but I have some hearing loss from being in bands when I was younger and it sucks.

Please, wear your plugs.