muzzle cover while hunting

njdoxie

WKR
I try to account for everything that could go wrong on an elk hunt, so I've been thinking about putting something over the muzzle to keep out sticks debris, mud. Been meaning to for years.

I read where someone uses electrical tape, so while at the range yesterday, I put some electrical tape over the muzzle and my bullet hit 10 inches off the bullseye at 300 yds. I was surprised and glad I tried it at the range first.

I've also read of putting a balloon over the barrel but that seems kind of flimsy, but definitely better than nothing.

Next time I goto the range I'd like to try a few different options and see what causes the least change to the POI.

So what are some other options that folks have used that cause little to no effect on the POI?

Thanks

wesfromky

WKR
I started using finger cots during muzzleloader last year. Didn't seem to change anything at the range.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
I read where someone uses electrical tape, so while at the range yesterday, I put some electrical tape over the muzzle and my bullet hit 10 inches off the bullseye at 300 yds

Unless you put an entire roll of tape over the muzzle, you didn’t have a shift of over 3MOA due to tape.

Hundreds of rifles, hundreds of thousands of rounds, all with tape covering muzzles or suppressors, and shooting past a mile, there is no detectable POI shift from tape.

I'll echo what everyone else has said here. Been using tape for years, and while I've never used it at the range, I've never had a problem with it affecting my shot in the field.

OP
N

njdoxie

WKR
Unless you put an entire roll of tape over the muzzle, you didn’t have a shift of over 3MOA due to tape.

Hundreds of rifles, hundreds of thousands of rounds, all with tape covering muzzles or suppressors, and shooting past a mile, there is no detectable POI shift from tape.
I hear you...I put on 2 pieces, one north/south, one east/west....I've never had a flyer like that in all my years of shooting so I figure it had to be the tape.

I'll try again, maybe with just one piece.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
I tape the same (x) amd the wrap around the ends and the barrel. It weren’t tape that caused it.

What are the rifle ad scope particulars?

OP
N

njdoxie

WKR
Like I said, never had a flyer like that in my life and rifle shoots good, it's a 300WM in tikka superlite with a leupold 3.5X10 40mm. Never had the first issue with the setup, shoots fine.

I will try again next time I'm at the range in a week or 2.

rayporter

WKR
all rifles act different. i can believe some hate tape.

i have tested before with 30 cal and shotguns. never had a bad experience and killed many many deer elk, moose, bou and bear.

so today i have been testing with a rifle that will show results. i have shot with tape over this rifle before but not in a way you might call semi scientific.

the results were not what i expected by a long shot. pun intended.

rayporter

WKR
i spent some time dialing in the load for the day. yes, this is necessary as the load changes day to day.
on the left side 29.6 was a good guess for 88 degrees. a bullet hole of vertical which was tuned out with .002 of seating depth which resulted in a 3 shot dot with a 68 gr avenger.

on the right i tried 30.5 and 2 seating depths with not a lot of success. 30,2 appeared as good as a hot load would do at 1.568 seating.

XifUpc9.jpg

rayporter

WKR
i alternated with black electrical tape over the muzzle and no tape.
what a shock. like i said i have did this before but never with alternating the tape.

Fzq3fJE.jpg

I believe tape has to make some difference, but is pretty minimal. I “feel” that there needs to be a better alternative to electrical tape. It doesnt really tear that easy and is pretty elastic. Need something perforated and more static. I’m just guessing here not a engineer. When I can, I pull the tape off before the shot.

Rich M

WKR
Why do you need to cover the muzzle anyway?

I'm from the east and not scaling the rockies, but we get cold weather, snow, ice, sticks, etc. We also typically hunted with rifle or ML in our hands due to thick cover. Never seen a need.

Only time we needed a cleaning rod was when a guy dropped his rifle bore down into the mud. He was always one for surprises.

Only time I had an issue was a model 700 freezing up on me. Switched to model 70 and been good since.

rayporter

WKR
when the nearest cleaning rod is 12 miles away and you slip on a side hill every 20 minutes i just dont want to worry about checking the bore. back in camp i keep a piece of weed eater line that works well for pushing a patch every night.

I’m from the Southeast and keep 3M on the muzzle the entire hunting season. I hunt in the rain and I don’t want it raining down my muzzle when on stand or walking in. One strip East/west and long enough that after I shoot I can take one side and re-cover. I have to admit I have never checked my POI at the range with the tape on but have not missed due to it being on there that I know of. Many critters have fallen after shooting through the tape. 260 Rem, 7RM, 308 and 300WM.

KClark

WKR
I shot an elk at 25 yards with ice in the muzzle brake, dead elk, slight bulge in the barrel. A few more times I've stuck the muzzle in snow, mud or dirt and had to stop and clean it out. I pretty much always tape the muzzle now, keeps water out too. I use blue or green painters tape, 1 strip over the muzzle then a couple wraps around the barrel to help keep it in place and to use after a shot.