Muzzle loader bobcat

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
I shot this bobcat today with my muzzle loader.

Bobcatonlog_zps37eadaf6.jpg

Shrek

WKR
Nice cat. How big ? I've shot about a dozen over the years bit the only big tom I got I blew his head off and ruined him for a mount :( . That cat will be a cool mount :).

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Wow! That may not have been done for a few hundred years!

Were you hunting bobcats or was it incidental?

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
I am going to guess, incidental. I don't know to many taking a big caliber smokepole out for bobcat hunting. Either way, I love killing the bobcats.

That is a nice looking cat Justin. Congratulations to you! It's going to make an awesome looking mount. I'm wondering did you call it in or just run into it? My wife and I were out hiking out on the coast together in the late afternoon a few weeks ago and happened to catch this one mousing in a field and I was able to snap off some pictures of it.

Post how your mount comes out when you get it back. I'd sure like to see how it turns out.

664344_3843743336101_251052626_o_zps82e00f14.jpg

665402_3843742176072_2024287893_o_zps02f8c2f6.jpg

680303_3843743056094_1622909482_o_zpsbf188b4f.jpg

loner

FNG
Nice cat!!
Is your smokepole a flint or a caplock?

Rosin how do you know it is a big caliber?
My .32 is just as big as my .54 no way to tell unless you look down the barrel or pick them up.

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don't, but .32 is still very big on 25 pound thin skinned cats. I don't know shit about smoke poles, but I have never heard of anyone going out calling for cats or hunting cats specifically with one.

loner

FNG
There are a lot of muzzle loader hunters,most that I know don't use any thing but.
.32 cal is very small for a smokepole and small bore muzzle loaders foul very quickly like 3 shots so not many guys like to build them under .40 cal
Some of us build our rifles and even make our own powder and knap our own flints.
And yes even call predators.
http://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/fusionbb/showforum.php?fid/23/

Sorry for the thread drift

Last edited:

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Beautiful pics Kevin.

I have a new bobcat hunting method. My mom, who lives on the outskirts of Mesa, AZ just called and said her domestic cat has been in heat for a few days. Last night she pulled in the driveway and a bobcat was sitting on the porch! Seriously!

My mom is not a hunter so I know I can trust her :)

OP
Justin Crossley

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
I saw that on Facebook tonight. Take it to Charlie??

I took it to a guy in Buckley who does really good cat mounts. I have been really happy with the mounts that Charlie has done for us but I didn't feel like driving all the way down to his house.

I was lucky enough to see the cat while I was deer hunting. Shot it with a Cabelas 50 cal Hawken that came as a kit which I finished when I was 15.
I was really happy when I got up to it and saw that the bullet left really small holes going in and out.

owyheerat

FNG
Justin, way to go. That is a nice looking cat. I would love to call one in.

Kevin, great pics.

OP
Justin Crossley

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
I'm going to go calling on Monday morning in an area I have seen a couple bobcats, so hopefully I can get another one!

I was lucky enough to see the cat while I was deer hunting. Shot it with a Cabelas 50 cal Hawken that came as a kit which I finished when I was 15.
I was really happy when I got up to it and saw that the bullet left really small holes going in and out.

I shoot a Hawkens too that my dad put together back in the early 80's. took 2 does this year ar 90 yards and and 1 last year at 10 yards. Got a rabbit with it lat weekend too, I think they are super fun to hunt with.
I was wondering if you have a sling on your's and how did you mount it to the barrel end of the gun? thanks.

OP
Justin Crossley

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
I do have a sling on it. If you look closely in the picture you can see the top of it were it loops around the ramrod. I don't really like that part of it but it works well enough.