Muzzleloader: a fool's errand?

topher89

WKR
Taking a look at the Colorado leftover list there are tons of leftover muzzy tags. It seems like a great way to get in extra hunt in every year. I could rifle hunt with a buck or doe tag and pick up an extra muzzy doe tag.

Anyone out there muzzy hunt antelope? It seems like it could be a tough proposition: wily antelope, open country and open sights.

Carlin59

WKR
I was thinking the same thing. I love antelope hunting, and that would be a nice weekend hunt in between all the "serious" mountain hunts. My experience with them in October is that if you catch them rutting, sneaking into muzzy range is feasible. If you are hunting them post-rut/late October, they are likely in large herds. Lots of eyes+hunted for 2 months=tough proposition for a muzzleloader. I would love to hear other's thoughts on this as well.

robtattoo

WKR
I've only hunted them once & that was Mid-October in Wyoming, so I'm a neophyte m'self, but I shot 2 with my flintlock & .54 roundball. It can be done & if I can do it I'm pretty sure anyone can!
Spot & stalk in a full ghillie suit through the sagebrush. It took 6 stalks before I managed to get within shooting distance of an animal.

OP
T

topher89

WKR
I was thinking the same thing. I love antelope hunting, and that would be a nice weekend hunt in between all the "serious" mountain hunts. My experience with them in October is that if you catch them rutting, sneaking into muzzy range is feasible. If you are hunting them post-rut/late October, they are likely in large herds. Lots of eyes+hunted for 2 months=tough proposition for a muzzleloader. I would love to hear other's thoughts on this as well.

Good thoughts. Agreed on the timing as well, if they are rutting it may be a whole lot easier to close the distance but they also maybe very wary.

My uncle usually gets a rifle deer tag in the same unit we antelope hunt and the seasons slightly overlap. We could hit the plains together I could muzzy hunt a doe while he rifle hunts for deer.

Hmmm...

bbrown

WKR
Colorado antelope muzzy season is after the rifle and later in the year. So not only have they been pushed around a bunch but the rut is over for the most part and they are starting to join into winter herds so lots more eyes. It's a tough deal for sure but it can be done and if you are just looking for more time in the field go for it.

OP
T

topher89

WKR
if you are just looking for more time in the field go for it.
This is a big part of my thinking. If I don't draw a rifle tag, I can pick up a leftover muzzy tag. If I draw a rifle tag and have extra time, I can pick up an extra doe tag.

Now I just have to buy a muzzleloader:D

Outwest

WKR
Anyone out there muzzy hunt antelope? It seems like it could be a tough proposition: wily antelope, open country and open sights.

Im assuming Colorado has the no telescopic sights rule?

I killed my first buck with a muzzleloader, granted I had a scope and was able to shoot out to 250 yards. I had a shot at 150yds within the first two hours of the hunt.
I say go for it. Anytime you get to go chase goats is more time you can learn about them.