muzzleloader bullets

bnsafe

WKR
Prob already discussed a million times but nothing popped up. My daughter drew her first elk tag in colorado. I know we have to use loose powder, no sabots, and iron sites. I lived there for a couple years. My question is, what bullets yall running and grains. Im leaning towards 100 grains of triple 7 with a thompson center 320 or 370 grain hunter. But I also know hornady makes some good looking great plains bullets.

dsayer

FNG
I'm a traditional guy so I cast 380gr Lee REAL bullets and push em with 100 grains of holy black with a dry felt wad. But I doubt that's the kinda setup you're looking for... 😂

If I were inclined to shoot an inline, I would go with No Excuses or Thor bullets. If you go with the latter, you'll need to get a sizing kit to match the bullet to your exact bore size. I think it's a 4 or 5 pack, 1 of each size.

For powder, I'd try 3F Triple7 powder or Blackhorn 209. 100gr of either is a good starting point.

OP
B

bnsafe

WKR
thanks guys. leaning towards 100 grains of triple 7 with no excuses 420 gr bullet

coldchow

FNG
I use 348gr powerbelts pushed by 777 out of a 50cal tc omega. 6 or 7 elk and none went over 40 yards. There are many good bullets available for muzzle loaders today, but for me powerbelts get the call.

dsayer

FNG
thanks guys. leaning towards 100 grains of triple 7 with no excuses 420 gr bullet
Don't get attached to any bullet/powder combo until you've shot them. That's all part of the fun of muzzleloading. Never know what your rifle will eat best.

cnelk

WKR
Don't get attached to any bullet/powder combo until you've shot them. That's all part of the fun of muzzleloading. Never know what your rifle will eat best.

That may have been true back in the day, but with the current issues of powder/ primer availability there’s nothing wrong with selecting a bullet/powder combo and ‘making it work’.

dsayer

FNG
That may have been true back in the day, but with the current issues of powder/ primer availability there’s nothing wrong with selecting a bullet/powder combo and ‘making it work’.
Nothing wrong unless it shoots like crap...
I get what you're saying though about availability. OP seems kinda new to muzzleloading. At minimum, be willing to tinker with the powder charge (mentions 100gr specifically). A few grains up or down can make a difference as you're well aware.

Jaeger62

FNG
Have heard real good things about this bullet and will quite likely be running with it in October. Borrowing this rifle, and the owner has had good luck with 200gr of Triple 7 pellets and these Barnes bullets out of a Remington UML

Barnes Original 300gr Spire Point

Last edited:

DanimalW

WKR
Thor bullets shoot really well out of my ML. I had a powerbelt come loose from the plastic seat and watched it fall right out of my barrel.

I have used both "No Excuses" and "Bull Shop" lead conicals for Colorado elk and prefer Bull Shop, by far. They are more affordable and the lube job is far superior in my opinion. Easy decision. There are some "gimmicky" bullets available for muzzle loaders, these days. Power Belts have a less-than-stellar reputation on elk and I personally couldn't get the Hornady FPB 350g to fly out of either my Knight Mountaineer or my White M97. The lead conicals from both NE and BS shoot very well for me with 80 grainish of Triple 7 and a veggie fiber wad. Nothing fancy. No gimmicks. Easily under 2 inches at 100 yards with peep sights.

Might take a look at Thor Bullets. They perform exceptionally well out of my CVA Accura V2.

OP
B

bnsafe

WKR
I bought some no excuses. when they get here I will work up a powder load and go from there. thanks everyone.