muzzleloader bullets

Also recommend Thor. They are actually made by Barnes. Get their sizing kit and see how they shoot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cnelk

WKR
I haven’t shot Thor bullets, but I did do a price comparison

Thor - $30 for 15 bullets / 300gr

No Excuses - $28.95 for 50 bullets / 420gr

There’s a reason I’m picking No Excuses.

DEEF

Lil-Rokslider
Bor lok copper are easy loading and keep the barrel clean-free for several rounds. For quicker loading I prefer them.
Thor are great but I do prefer the boat tails.

I haven’t discerned a grouping difference between them, but haven’t tried hard—have seen some elevation difference of course.
After reading some shooter tests and hearing of failures, I don't even consider shooting power balls.
I ignite 209 in a knight ultralight.
From published tests, Triple 7 appears to produce slightly higher velocities, but it is said by some to be more sooty.

DanimalW

WKR
I haven’t shot Thor bullets, but I did do a price comparison

Thor - $30 for 15 bullets / 300gr

No Excuses - $28.95 for 50 bullets / 420gr

There’s a reason I’m picking No Excuses.
Knowing this, I would have tried No Excuses before Thors too.

Jaeger62

FNG
Is the 200gr a typo? That seems like a lot of 777 to me.
It is not the loose powder, but 4 of the Triple 7 pellets. That's what the guy I'm borrowing the rifle from shoots with the load he developed for it.

Randy Wakeman discusses shooting 200gr of the Triple 7 pellets. Shooting the 150gr of loose Blackhorn 209 would possibly be more ideal, but I'm hesitant to shoot the 209 in this rifle. I've heard of there being some issues, and I don't want to jack up someone else's rifle.

After this hunt in NM, I will probably be looking to purchase my own muzzleloader that will also be legal in CO as well as NM. But couldn't turn down the chance to use this Remington UML this season.

Randy Wakeman on Remington 700 UML

dsayer

FNG
200 gr of T7 (loose or pellet x4) is a hefty load to put it modestly. Completely unnecessary IMO.

Also, the article by Randy Wakeman makes it seem as though the T7 would be potentially more of a concern RE: pressure and recoil.

"Note: 150 grains by volume of Blackhorn 209 produces higher velocities than "200 grains" of Triple Se7en pellets . . . with dramatically lower peak pressures. In fact, 150 grains by volume of Blackhorn 209 produces lower peak pressures than "150 grain" Triple Se7en pellet loads."