Muzzleloader Confused

Like everyone, you have to start somewhere.

I have been reading through thread after thread, and find myself confused about muzzleloaders, primarily when it comes to a load profile. Typically I'd run trail and error tests until I learnt it all, but with the current political environment supplies are in high demand and shelves are empty. I can't afford the time to backorder supplies just to have to make a change and wait months to receive items. so I'm left with the most doe ass option. I'm going to ask for a NorthWest legal opinion on muzzleloader brand/model, the caliber of ML, bullet, primer, propellant, plug, sights, and anything else I may have left out.

My budget has no limit. I only hunt mule deer.

What do you have Sabotloader? Robby Denning? You Idaho muzzleloader die-hards. Help me to flatten the curve.

Thank you in advance,

The Dutchess

Wrench

WKR
Your options are wide, yet all pretty similar. You really don't have to look much farther than sights using the lee shaver inserts.

I have great luck with musket caps and find them easier to use when it's cold due to fat finger syndrome.

My friends have the bergara barreled uber accurate units, but my wolf and vortek are similarly accurate.....perhaps we're all at the mercy of the sights.

Lewis shows that no excuses bullets are inconsistent, yet they are the best that I have been able to buy. I'd use better if I could find such a thing for sale....but for me they do quite well.

I'd look for the style and look you want and what you look for in a bullet....and use those two things to converge on what is right for you.

Material avaliablity is an important consideration in the current market. Find a stash of a few hundred bullets and a few pounds powder and find a load that works....and go pound rocks. Shooting sub moa is awesome, but knowing where to hold is more awesome.

I am not sure what Robby is using these days but I use a Knight Ultra-Lite or the Knight DISC Extreme. Both rifles are very accurate and work extremely well for me.

Ultra lite

ULite-Western.jpg

DISC

Knight-DISC-Extreme-Western.jpg

Either of these would work extremely well for you.

mike

OP
Bitchdutchess
Mike,

The Knight Ultra-Lite recommendation solidifies that part of the question. I was leaning towards the Knight UL, so that's that.

What recommendation do you have for NW round, propellant, and primer? I'm going to place a large backorder based on those recommendations.

OP
Bitchdutchess
In the Knight UL. What caliber would you recommend? I'm deer only, and accuracy is king.

In the Knight UL. What caliber would you recommend? I'm deer only, and accuracy is king.
IF - you are talking deer only - I would suggest the ULite 45 cal. The fast twist 45 ULite offers you great accuracy and and many different bullets you could use both lead and copper. It would be great for elk also but not legal in Idaho for elk. If you you thing you might do some elk hunting than I would go with the 50 cal.

Mike,

The Knight Ultra-Lite recommendation solidifies that part of the question. I was leaning towards the Knight UL, so that's that.

What recommendation do you have for NW round, propellant, and primer? I'm going to place a large backorder based on those recommendations.

Are you hunting Idaho only - during ML season?

WA and OR allow many more options.

Dioni A

Basque Assassin
777 ffg is probably your best powder choice. I wouldn't get to worried about backordering. I've been able to find stuff pretty consistently.

Well since you are hunting here in Idaho, I can offer a few suggestions...

My normal load for elk hunting and what I have also shot deer with...

Cap ignition, and I use a #11 style cap. For hunting I do shoot the RWS 1075+ cap and for target practice and plinking I try to use the CCI #11 MAG cap. I really prefer these to the Musket cap

11-Caps-a.jpg

For powder I use T7-2f. I load 80 grains of powder by volume

Remember I am using a 50 cal., so if you go with the 45 you will have to choose another option lead conical.

This pic will show you some other options available from Bull Shop

bullshopBullets.jpg

The 420 L457 - 193 would be a really good option.

Since my main target is elk I normally use a .503x460 MTNex Bull Shop Lead conical. But I am really considering on making a switch to a .503x400 LGP conical from Bull Shop.

This pic shows a 400 recovered from an Elk that was shot 180+ yards

Bullshop-503x400-LGP.jpg

Under the bullet and on top of the powder, I would suggest that you use a wad

From Track of the Wolf

.44/.45 caliber revolver Ox-Yoke Wonder Wad, bag of 500 lubricated felt wads

1614788924911.png

Hope some of this helps a bit.

mike

Last edited:

Loco4dux

WKR
@sabotloader this thread helped me a lot thank you. Converting my ultralite from 209 primer to percussion caps for an Idaho hunt this year. Still having trouble locating caps but hope to find some soon. If anyone has any tips on finding those let me know.

@sabotloader thanks for posting this. The sights on your setup look like Williams sights? What are you running? I am used to running a encode but have a ID cow tag and need to get a setup running.