Muzzleloader for big mule deer

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
David and I had discussed having this forum for a few months and he pulled the trigger, per say, and made it happen. Thanks David!

Let's make it a great place to gather and share information on what I think is a great weapon to kill a big mule deer with: the muzzleloader.

I'll start.
What are your thoughts on chances of killing big deer with a muzzleloader?

I like the fact that many muzzleloader seasons occur in September when the bucks are on the summer range and often still using the open country. I think it gives a hunter an opportunity at patterning a buck in his summer mode and have a chance at killing him.

I've hunted some late muzzleloader rut hunts and they were tough due to crunchy snow and lots of does. Still a great experience.

Your thoughts?

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
My thoughts are that is one of the most desireable hunts, to me. High country, summer range, big bucks, open country. Awesome.

B

bearguide

if you are using some of the modern muzzleloaders you are at little or no disadvantage. i have seen muzzle loaders that will shot 500 yards (long range shooting.com )topped with nightforce scopes. this gives you the advantage of early or late season hunts with less people. / i like to stick with the reason for muzzle loading in the first place(to have more of a challenge like bow hunting) so i mostly shoot a flintlock that i made or at least an open sight, exposed hammer percussion, if the weather is really wet. / it is like comparing a long bow to a new compound. some of the long range stuff defeats the reason for muzzle loaders but it is legal so why not take advantage of the added opportunity and time in the field.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
bearguide,
In most of the mule deer states with muzz hunts, those muzzleloaders aren't legal. Only Arizona and New Mexico allow scopes with magnification, Utah allows 1x scopes. Once you have to use open or peep sights, the range is pretty much 150 yards or less.

MattEastman

Lil-Rokslider
I think its a great opportunity to hunt high alpine basin muleys with a muzzleloader. I plan to do so this year in Colorado. Just bought a Traditions Hawken muzzleloader and hopefully I can take a good buck with the old ball and patch. I thought about getting a modern muzzy but I guess Im just a little to old school.

Foldem

WKR
I love ML season in CO! You get a chance to prescout bucks and hunt high rugged country. I've been shooting a TC Omega, but I'm planning on upgrading to a Triumph or CVA Accura this summer.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Kevin, agreed on the high country. Also, I have a hard time keeping track of which muzzleloaders are legal in Co. Obviously the TC Omega is? Is that because it is loaded from the barrel and doesn't have a break open action? Educate us please?

Foldem

WKR
Robby, my understanding is that as long as it loads from the end of the barrel and you don't use sabots, use loose blackpowder or substitute, and don't have any magnifying sites it is legal. I don't think the break action comes into play unless it is capable of shooting cartridges of some sort.

slim23

Lil-Rokslider
i dont think you will gain anything with a new muzzy over a omega. only switching powders and bullets will gain you anything. i went to blackhorn 209 and loved it for 2 years. building a smokeless now on a rem 700. these are amazing guns. same as a savage 10ml. no fouling, higher velocity, better groups.

Foldem

WKR
Slim, the reason I want to change is because I want to move to a stainless barrel, a break open action, and a hand removable breach plug for ease of cleaning. I've had zero problems with my Omega, but I borrowed a triumph last year and loved the ease of cleaning it.

I really enjoy hunting with the old smokepole. I've only been on 1 muzzy mule deer hunt and I loved it. It was a late season hunt and having to get within 150 yds made for a good challenge with all of those doe around. I had a great time and I killed a pretty nice deer so I guess I'd say that there's a decent chance to get a good muzzy buck.