Muzzleloader for Elk

N2fishing

FNG
Before I start getting haters, I’m primarily a archery whitetail hunter. I’m going with my two nephews to CO for our first elk hunt. One is a brand new hunter and being new to elk we decided to try for a muzzleloader hunt which we got. I’ve killed my fair share of whitetails with a muzzleloader I perfer the 270 grain Federal Bor Lock bullet but the recommendation is for medium game. It is lethal on whitetails but I’ve had a few that the bullet stopped at the other side under the skin. I know elk are not just bigger but a lot tougher. Does anyone have a recommendation on a bulletin for elk? I should say I had to buy a new muzzleloader since I could not put sights on my Optima. I’ll be shooting and 50 cal Traditions Strikerfire with the 28” barrel.

I’d personally stay with the federal and figure out if your new rifle likes it. Play around with your charges and if you find a combination that groups well and consistently then you’re set. A practiced, well placed shot with a familiar load will do wonders for your hunt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Read the muzzleloader forum. There are probably 2 or 3 threads on CO elk loads on the first page. I would try to go with something heavier. At least 300gn.

Thomas11

WKR
Well u know u have to shoot conicals but I’m pretty sure the federal bor lock is legal as well. If it shoots well for you I wouldn’t hesitate to use it for elk. I shot hornsdy pbts I think was the name of them? They shot good. Lots of folks love the Thor bullet too.

OP
N

N2fishing

FNG
Thanks guys! I looked the Thor and may try them, Bor Lock comes in a 350 grain heavy lead version should have deeper penetration. I will try it for sure in my gun.

Before I start getting haters, I’m primarily a archery whitetail hunter. I’m going with my two nephews to CO for our first elk hunt. One is a brand new hunter and being new to elk we decided to try for a muzzleloader hunt which we got. I’ve killed my fair share of whitetails with a muzzleloader I perfer the 270 grain Federal Bor Lock bullet but the recommendation is for medium game. It is lethal on whitetails but I’ve had a few that the bullet stopped at the other side under the skin. I know elk are not just bigger but a lot tougher. Does anyone have a recommendation on a bulletin for elk? I should say I had to buy a new muzzleloader since I could not put sights on my Optima. I’ll be shooting and 50 cal Traditions Strikerfire with the 28” barrel.

For CO elk muzzy I would consider the full bore Thor 300 grains bullet. Make sure you purchase the sample sizing pack to verify the bullet diameter that would suit your Traditions barrel.

Our group has used the 270 grain Federals Bor Loks all cooper version and I have personally seen them drop some big elk and Muledeer the last few years.

Ucsdryder

WKR
Those hornady ffp are awesome. Found a 300gr under the offside skin. Bull fell like a rock.

TheHardWay

Lil-Rokslider
IMO, stay away from Powerbelts. I used to shoot the 348 Aerotip and hollow points on elk, with less than desirable results. Seems that they are just a little too soft for elk. Deer? No problem.
Now I'm shooting the Thor 247 HP Hammer and 250 grain Tipped Hammer with good success on elk for the most part. I've also used the 300 grain Thors, but dropped down to the lighter ones for more velocity.

IMO, stay away from Powerbelts. I used to shoot the 348 Aerotip and hollow points on elk, with less than desirable results. Seems that they are just a little too soft for elk. Deer? No problem.
Now I'm shooting the Thor 247 HP Hammer and 250 grain Tipped Hammer with good success on elk for the most part. I've also used the 300 grain Thors, but dropped down to the lighter ones for more velocity.

I’ll second the no-powerbelt recommendation. The regs here in Idaho are much different obviously, but I shot a cow this last December with 345gr lead hollow point powerbelt; it hit her dead-on the front shoulder, blew the shoulder apart and basically disintegrated. Never exited. I found shrapnel clear down in the gut cavity. I had to track her down in the dark and shoot her again. My longbow does more damage lol!