Muzzleloader load check, new to ML

jodorouse

FNG
Just got my first muzzleloader, CVA Accura V2 50 cal, and wanted to run my first load buy you guys to make sure it will get the job done. I plan on using this load for whitetail in MN muzzleloader season and probably won’t see a shot longer than 100 yards and probably going to be 50-75 yard wooded shots. I plan on using a hornady 300 grain sst low drag sabot, 2 triple 7 mag pellets (60gr each), with 209 winchester primers.

Honestly there seems to be a run on primers and I wasn’t able to find federal or cci primers because I wanted to run blackhorn powder so I could play with the amount to see if I could dial in accuracy. I also wanted to run 250gr SST but cabelas was out of that online.

Do you think the load is appropriate for deer? Really just looking for adequate and then play around with loads next year.

Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

spur60

Lil-Rokslider
When it comes to my Accura V2, I've yet to find a sabot or belted bullet over 2 pellets that doesn't shoot within 2" of POI at 100 yards. These guns seem to be vital area accurate with the stock sights at 100 yards with pretty much every load I've tried. I bought a MN gun season tag this year, and plan on using my scoped V2 while on stand. Probably break out the shotgun and slugs if I do some post/drive hunts with friends mid day.

OP
J

jodorouse

FNG
Thanks. That was what I was hoping to hear. I wanted to make sure if I get the sights on target and do my job that the load selection will put the deer down ethically.

Personally for shots under 100 yards i definitely feel like you could drop the powder load and save you shoulder a bit.
I use 375gr maxi hunters over 70gr of double f powder. This load has literally killed over 100 deer between myself.my dad and grandpa over the last 30 years in indiana.. they'd has also killed an elk, muskox, Buffalo, mnt lion, and gator. Its pretty proven..

jdwerther

FNG
Just bought the same gun! Stoked about it. And that's more than enough for deer. I shoot 285gr Barnes Spitfires over 100gr Blackhorn, so darn near equivalent to your load.

OP
J

jodorouse

FNG
Personally for shots under 100 yards i definitely feel like you could drop the powder load and save you shoulder a bit.
I use 375gr maxi hunters over 70gr of double f powder. This load has literally killed over 100 deer between myself.my dad and grandpa over the last 30 years in indiana.. they'd has also killed an elk, muskox, Buffalo, mnt lion, and gator. Its pretty proven..

So you are saying if I keep the shots under 100 yards, I could get away with a 300 gr sst and one 60gr pellet?

cobbc03

Lil-Rokslider
I have the V2 as well, the book recommends white hot powder with powerbelts. That what I use, and couldn't be happier. I had shot 777 in my old thompson center, the white hots are much cleaner burning, and seem to deal with moisture a little better.

So you are saying if I keep the shots under 100 yards, I could get away with a 300 gr sst and one 60gr pellet?

I'm sure you could push it farther with no problem at all. We sights ours at 100 yards. At 50 yards it does shoot about 3 inches hight and dead on at 25.. its about 10 inches low at 200. When I was younger my load was a 295gr power belt with 50gr of FF powder. I was a small kid, didnt break 100lbs untill my freshman year. All shots on deer have been 100% pass throughs. Most shots are 100 and under, but some a tad over.

WKR
You may want to buy loose powder and try 70,80,90 grains. Any of those would certainly be plenty for deer to 100 though.

OP
J

jodorouse

FNG
Thanks for the offer. I found a few different ones at my local store. Some copper PowerBelt and aerolite powerbelts along with some triple 7 powder and going to see what shoots best out of my gun (along with the 300gr SSTs.). I have beards some not so good things about powerbelts too so I am a little leery about using them vs I have consistently heard good things about the ssts.

I also prefer two 60 grain pellets (120 grains total) in my MLs. I wouldn't go any lower.

For bullets, I run either a 240 gn XTP or a 250 gn Shockwave. 300 grains seems a bit much for whitetail. Just my opinion.

huck

Lil-Rokslider
If your still looking for 250 SST try midway usa ,they had them this morning .

You guys realize this thread is over a year old right?

But to give my 2 cents, I absolutely think 120 gr powder is an overkill for a deer out to 100-150 yards. My elk load is 95 gr of BH209, which is equivalent to about 110 gr of pyrodex… for an elk!

I also have trouble with neck pain when I get too stout with a load. If you get accuracy with 80-100 gr of powder, why would you want to spend more money or have more recoil? I would prob stay with at least 80 gr at the low end.

Remember a 45-70 was a Buffalo gun. (45 cal, 70 gr powder)

Last edited: