Muzzleloader Mule Deer Hunt Film Premiere

Man some of those were great bucks..but I completely understand why you passed... its hard to settle for something less when you know there is a bigger on around..Hopefully we have a semi mild winter and a few of them bigger ones will be around next year.. great video!! Thanks for taking the time to produce this.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Ditto to all the comments above, enjoyed the video.

One off topic question though, where did you place the bullet in that skunk so he didn't release the nose bomb from hell inside your tent? I've tried different spots and the result is always eye watering.
I shot him under the chin, 3 times (not hard at 4 feet) Semi-auto so I kept firing until he was in a heap. Then jumped up and dragged him out real quick

elkguide

WKR
I thought that you were an experienced woodsman robby?????

With horses, you certainly must have planned well and brought along enough salt to keep the pelt on that trophy skunk till you could get him to the taxidermist!

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
I thought that you were an experienced woodsman robby?????

With horses, you certainly must have planned well and brought along enough salt to keep the pelt on that trophy skunk till you could get him to the taxidermist!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If I tried to video my hunts I would never kill a damn thing
I like how you do it
Most people don't understand the art of hunting big bucks
Also that looks like some tough country to hunt
Looked like it was shower time about day 6 :)

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
If I tried to video my hunts I would never kill a damn thing
I like how you do it
Most people don't understand the art of hunting big bucks
Also that looks like some tough country to hunt
Looked like it was shower time about day 6 :)

You’re right, and then add in the skunk episode on day eight, I was ripe.
Probably why I didn’t get one

Great film Robby! You certainly did put in maximum effort. Good job! I truly enjoy all of your content, thank you for taking the time to do this and share with all of us.👍🏻

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Great film Robby! You certainly did put in maximum effort. Good job! I truly enjoy all of your content, thank you for taking the time to do this and share with all of us.

You’re welcome man, thanks for watching.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Your self control is impressive Robby. That real nice 4x4 that showed up on day 8 or 9 would have had me caving in.
Thanks, but that's why I try to locate bucks pre-season so I know what to hold out for. But often you don't get one so there's always risk, but if you do, it's the one you came for. Certain tags and depending on how full my freezer is, that buck you mention would have done just fine! Every hunt's different, I just knew there was a 30" around so I was extra picky.

sagebuster

Lil-Rokslider
Even after chasing big bucks forever and thinking I must have seen it all, I still learn, or re-learn, something new every time I watch one of your videos. I liked the way you worked that open country with long-range glassing. You didn't tell me what to do, you showed me as you did it. Your patience and persistence is always a motivator. I know what its like to put almost a month's worth of days in on a hunt, and come away with nothing in your pockets but an unused tag. But...ahhhh...it was a good hunt. Good video...your getting better at it.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Even after chasing big bucks forever and thinking I must have seen it all, I still learn, or re-learn, something new every time I watch one of your videos. I liked the way you worked that open country with long-range glassing. You didn't tell me what to do, you showed me as you did it. Your patience and persistence is always a motivator. I know what its like to put almost a month's worth of days in on a hunt, and come away with nothing in your pockets but an unused tag. But...ahhhh...it was a good hunt. Good video...your getting better at it.
hey sagebuster, best compliment of the day. Thanks for the watch and the feedback...

huntngolf

Lil-Rokslider
Just got done watching the video, well done. That encounter with the skunk would have made me sprint out of the tent!!
I have never hunted mountain muleys, so not accustomed to the style of hunting you do in the video but definitely learned a few things on patience and glassing. I do have a couple questions
1. Camp site- once you knew you were going to be going to certain ridge/area for a few days, why not move camp closer to there instead of waking up at 3 am and spending 3 hours traveling in the dark?
2. Scouting- you spotted the big buck you were after in mid July. Was that your only scouting trip? Personally, I try to scout areas 2 weeks-a month before season, 6+ weeks seems like a long time to trust a deer to be in the same area.
Again, I have never hunted mountain regions so just trying to pick your brain a bit!!