Muzzleloader Newbie

I am a 25 yr Rifle Elk hunter and have been very successful with a rifle looking for a new challenge. How difficult is it to pick up the
details of correct Muzzleloader, powder, primer, bullet if none of my friends shoot Muzzies? I am interested in it for Colorado Elk.
I am not looking to drop rifle hunting but add to the experience. Curious is there are choices that minimize the learning curve. Not
looking to be Davey Crockett but shoot a muzzleloader accurately on Elk by next fall. I assume since I am a good rifle shot I can pick up
the shooting aspect. It is the details of the rest that I am curious about.

CoHiCntry

WKR
Picking up a muzzleloader and being prepared by next fall shouldn't be an issue. Are you looking to go traditional or inline???

cobbc03

Lil-Rokslider
I cant speak on other states laws because they vary greatly. However inline muzzleloaders are quite simple. Definitely more work and take longer to get used to, but not like a traditional muzzleloaders. I will always recommend CVA, I have an Accurra V2 and the thing is great. Its got a lifetime warranty on the barrel and not needing a tool for the breach plug is great. I also recommend whitehot pellets for powder, it is very clean burning comparing to anything else I have used.

cnelk

WKR
Colorado is loose powder and no scopes or sabots.

I’d recommend a 420gr No Excuses bullet pushed by 90gr of Pyrodex P.

Each ML is somewhat temperamental so you may have to do some trial and error to find what works best for you and the gun.

cnelk

WKR
I killed this bull 20 years ago this year with a homemade 50cal Hawken I built in Junior High shop class in the 70s.

Just go do it.

6042543D-E0A4-4ED1-A3DC-A402DA7E15CA.jpeg

Travis Bertrand

Super Moderator
Staff member
any modern day inline muzzleloader will do. You have to shoot atleast a .50 cal in colorado for elk. No Sabot. I suggest trying different bullets such as Arrowhead XLD, Thor, and No excuses with different loads of BH209 (best BP substitute on the market). CVA makes good muzzleloader and they are a sponsor of Rokslide. Also, the biggest accessory you can purchase is a set of good sights such as the lee shaver 17 and a solid peep in the back.

Trevor.b

FNG
I have a CVA Accura V2 that I used here in Colorado last year and I agree with the above mentioned of going with a good peep and globe set up. I drew muzzy pronghorn last year and the standard Cva sights are not precise or refined enough to feel accurate as the distance increases.