Muzzleloader recommendation

satchamo

WKR
Thinking of trying to pickup a muzzleloader for whitetails this fall in IL.

I have very little experience with muzzleloader. I don’t have a super tight budget but I’d like to maybe stay all in for $500? That includes optics.

Any recommendations?

JGTWI

WKR
Classified Approved
I’d suggest that you look at the CVA optima V2. I bought one last year with open sights and it’s a nice gun for the price. I like the way the action opens, and the breech plug removes easily for cleaning.
They sell a version that comes with a scope (seems decent) or you can get it with rings and put your own on it, which is probably the route I’d go if I wanted a scope.

JTR11

FNG
I’ve shot many whitetails with a CVA Wolf. I just have the factory fiber optic sights. Thinking about adding a scope this year. No complaints. Reliable. Easy to clean. Great value.

Okie_3

FNG
I would recommend the CVA optima V2 as well. I bought one last year and put a leupold scope on it and it shot great. I use the powerbelt aerotip bullets. I am confident out to 150 yards (don't really even want to shoot a ML past that). And its killed an elk and black bear in Colorado with open sights. Solid choice.

Perhaps a bit out of your quoted price range, but a custom built christian springs, Andreas Albricht .62 cal. flinter you will never look back. Do not get me wrong the in-lines have there place (in the gun vault) if your looking for the challenge get a traditional built rifle.

Don’t over look the older Rossi. Only downfall is they have a extendable ramrod. Dosent matter if it is stainless or blue if you buy a used gun pull plug and check the bore.

hic7877

FNG
Never had any issues with my t/c impact sb. Should be well within your budget.

I also am a left handed shooter, really like the .54 cals, but my go too gun is a .62 cal long rifle, flint lock. Leaving in three days on my first mule deer hunt but it will be with a modern rifle, Good hunting too you.

I have a TC ProHunter FX .50 cal/209. I use BH209 powder, Federal 209 primers, and saboted bullets. It’s easy to clean, really accurate, and has been 100% reliable (not a single hangfire or misfire).

I do think the traditional rifles are cool, but I don’t get to be in the woods as much as I’d like and shot opportunities are few and far between. I had a CLICK....****! with a percussion rifle on what would have been my best bull elk. The romance of traditional went out the window.

I am not going to recommend a specific rifle. Just a couple things to consider concerning caliber before making your purchase.

I hunted a lot of years with a muzzleloader. Most of my hunting buddies hunted with them as well. I would recommend a 54 over a 50 or 45 caliber. All work well being effective. The difference is the blood trail. I have seen deer double lunged on several occasions with a round ball. Then run off with not much of a blood trail. The lack of blood is often very discouraging, although a fatal hit was inflicted. All things equal, a 54 leaves a better blood trail than either a 45 or 50 caliber.

If you wish to hunt elk someday with your muzzleloader, I would recommend a 54. With muzzleloaders, the velocity of your round is limited. Weight of the bullet becomes much more important. A 54 will you give you a decided advantage, in my opinion, over lesser calibers. The shoulder on a mature bull is much tougher than a shoulder on a 150 pound whitetail. Heavier bullets hit harder and tend to penetrate better.

goalie

FNG
I’d suggest that you look at the CVA optima V2. I bought one last year with open sights and it’s a nice gun for the price. I like the way the action opens, and the breech plug removes easily for cleaning.
They sell a version that comes with a scope (seems decent) or you can get it with rings and put your own on it, which is probably the route I’d go if I wanted a scope.
This. I got a late season doe last year with mine.

Attachments

• IMG_20201206_074836567.jpg
    IMG_20201206_074836567.jpg
    409.3 KB · Views: 30