Muzzleloader Suggestion - New Mexico (Unit 34)

Jaeger62

FNG
I was fortunate enough to draw a ML tag for Unit 34 Elk this October and now I need to secure a rifle. I have the option of borrowing a Remington 700 UML from someone or I am also considering purchasing a CVA Optima V2 of my own so that I have one that I can practice with a great deal and really get to know.

The Rem UML looks like a really amazing rifle but I am somewhat worried about being able to secure some of the Ignition System cartridges with the madness going on these days. I know I can find 209 and worst case pay more than I should for 209 primers. I can't seem to find the 700 UML ignition system cartridges for sale anywhere at all right now.

Is the UML really superior enough to a CVA Optima that it would be worth borrowing and trying to secure components for? Or would the CVA be enough weapon?

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've used the cva paramount pro out to 600 yards it uses 209 and standard rifle primers and comes with the VeriFlame adapters

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

ENCORE

WKR
For the primer carriers for the RUM, contact Luke at Arrowheadrifles.com and/or Levi at LR Customs. IIRC one of them had bags of brass they were trying to get rid of.

Congrats on getting my tag :)

To me it would depend on how far you would realistically be comfortable shooting. If you plan to keep shots inside 200 yards (which is what I would recommend given the relatively short amount of time you have to get ready), then either would be fine.

If you’re going to set up for longer distances then the Remington would be the way to go.

As mentioned, Arrowhead outfitters is your one stop shop for the Remington.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
J

Jaeger62

FNG
Are there any rifles that y'all would recommend that would get me out to 300yds max, hopefully closer to 200? The Paramount looks awesome, but if I can avoid it I'd like to spend less than the $900-950. Is that really necessary to get out to 300 if needed? I've never really tinkered with muzzleloaders.

ENCORE

WKR
Are there any rifles that y'all would recommend that would get me out to 300yds max, hopefully closer to 200? The Paramount looks awesome, but if I can avoid it I'd like to spend less than the $900-950. Is that really necessary to get out to 300 if needed? I've never really tinkered with muzzleloaders.
Today and with a dedicated shooter, taking their time to work up an accurate charge combination, just about all production muzzleloaders made today can shoot MOA at 200yds. However, if one puts a 2x scope on the rifle, it would take a great shooter to keep it moa at 200.

With the right bullet, one with a high BC such as the Arrowhead XLD's and 300gr or heavier bullets, QUALITY production rifles are very capable of 300yds+. Production rifles, short of the RUM and Paramount, are 120gr VOLUME/84gr WEIGHT MAXIMUM BH209 shooters.
Look over some of the bullets and charges, run them through JBM. Identify your minimum energy requirement.

First...new to this forum...first post. I am in a similar boat...so to say. I am looking at the knight mountaineer or ultralight. Does anybody know real word velocity for the .45 cal with 300 grn ballistic extreme bullets? I have a knight disk extreme 50 cal but think these two rifles will extend my range a little bit. I can accurately shoot my disk extreme to 200 yards. 3 inch group with 460 grn no excuse bullets. I have a unit 15 tag and just thinking about extending the reach a little.

Thanks

OP
J

Jaeger62

FNG
Today and with a dedicated shooter, taking their time to work up an accurate charge combination, just about all production muzzleloaders made today can shoot MOA at 200yds. However, if one puts a 2x scope on the rifle, it would take a great shooter to keep it moa at 200.

With the right bullet, one with a high BC such as the Arrowhead XLD's and 300gr or heavier bullets, QUALITY production rifles are very capable of 300yds+. Production rifles, short of the RUM and Paramount, are 120gr VOLUME/84gr WEIGHT MAXIMUM BH209 shooters.
Look over some of the bullets and charges, run them through JBM. Identify your minimum energy requirement.
I decided that I am going to borrow a Remington 700 UML for this season, but going forward, I am going to be looking at a muzzleloader that I can configure to hunt States like Colorado as well if needed. The CVAs look like pretty good rifles for the money, as well as the Knights.