Muzzleloading Frustration!

I started out this morning and found a herd of about 60 head. Unfortunately they were across a canyon, which by itself wasn’t bad but the 18 inches of snow put me at a serious disadvantage. They were in timber and I had to cross about a half mile of open country to get to them, so that wasn’t going to work.
So I put my snowshoes on and decided to try to get to the top of the ridge and work down to them. It worked, I got down without being seen . I caught one lone cow below me bedded at 75 yards. I set up for a shot and whistled to stand her up. She got up ,I settled in and pulled the trigger...click.Damn! I opened my rifle and the cap was hit but didn’t go off. I pulled back down to try again, at which time the cow had moved off to 150 yards. She blew this time! Everything was gone when the smoke cleared, so down the hill I went hoping to find her piled up(after I reloaded)When I got down to where she was standing, I could see the bullet impact in the snow. I had over shot her.
I started shoeing my way back up to the top and got into another little herd of about 12. They were 220 yards above me with no ethical muzzleloader shot offered. I’m so happy to be in the elk woods, but muzzleloaders are gonna drive me to drink!

OXN939

WKR
That’s unusual for a 209 not to ignite.
OP did say "cap," so maybe he was using musket cap rather than 209 ignition. Definitely much more likely to be influenced by extreme cold or moisture.

Props to the OP for passing on the last shot beyond where he was comfortable. Sucks that misfire happened, but way better than a wounded animal.

ElkNut1

WKR
Ahh, bummer! Sounds like you put out some serious effort to get position too! That';s hunting sometimes! Once you made it out of there you were probably glad you didn't have a 100# load on your back! (grin)

ElkNut

I figured it must be 209 since he had to open it, but that’s true enough. I’ve seen break opens that shot #11.

Yes and it was the right call not to shoot too far. 125 is really about my limit with irons on game. I used to shoot NRA service rifle to 600 and pop ups at 300 in the infantry, but nobody cares if you gut shoot a communist, whereas an elk or deer deserve better.

There are a few nw legal inlines you would have to open.
They just have to leave an opening somewhere so that the musket/cap is exposed to the elements.

OP keep with it man. On my recent muzzy hunt the snow was super crunchy and I never thought I would get within 350 yard. Almost went home.
But I toughed it out and it ended up lining up.
And it was much more satisfying then I thought it would be to fold up that big ole cow.

OP
Customweld
I’m shooting a Traditions Northwest Magnum which uses a musket cap. They are a break open action. I’ll definitely stick with it, it’s a real humbling experience to say the least.

OP
Customweld
There are a few nw legal inlines you would have to open.
They just have to leave an opening somewhere so that the musket/cap is exposed to the elements.

OP keep with it man. On my recent muzzy hunt the snow was super crunchy and I never thought I would get within 350 yard. Almost went home.
But I toughed it out and it ended up lining up.
And it was much more satisfying then I thought it would be to fold up that big ole cow.
That’s how the snow has been since Thanksgiving. A hard crust over about 10 inches, then we picked up another 8-10 inches last week. It certainly quieted things down, but without snowshoes, it’s damn near impossible to get around.

Wapiti1

WKR
Ahhh, the dreaded mis-fire. Sorry, but they happen to even the most seasoned muzzy hunter. Sounds like the cap wasn't seated. Been there with a couple of sidelocks.

Still fun to get out and make a good stalk.

Jeremy

OP
Customweld
Ahhh, the dreaded mis-fire. Sorry, but they happen to even the most seasoned muzzy hunter. Sounds like the cap wasn't seated. Been there with a couple of sidelocks.

Still fun to get out and make a good stalk.

Jeremy
I think you nailed it Jeremy. Fickle tools they are! The stalk went perfect, the walk of shame out of the hole... not so much! I'll be back up Wednesday, it rained all day up there yesterday, so I'm curious to see what the conditions are.

Ono

FNG
Bummer, I've had better luck with musket caps vs the #11s in my cva.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

OP
Customweld
Bummer, I've had better luck with musket caps vs the #11s in my cva.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
I like the musket caps much better than the number 11’s. They seem to be much hotter. I think the un-fire was due to the cap not being seated on the nipple tight enough.