muzzleoader scope

rpm4463

Lil-Rokslider
I hope to draw a tag for muzzleloader hunt this fall and I'm interested in purchasing a scope. I've noticed there are several "muzzleloader" scopes, but is there really a difference between a traditional scope for a bolt action rifle? I notice the scope reticle is usually different but everything else seems to be the same. Any tips or advice?

I hope to draw a tag for muzzleloader hunt this fall and I'm interested in purchasing a scope. I've noticed there are several "muzzleloader" scopes, but is there really a difference between a traditional scope for a bolt action rifle? I notice the scope reticle is usually different but everything else seems to be the same. Any tips or advice?

Most any rifle scope used on a big game rifle will work very well with a MLoader. Several of the dedicated ML scopes may have a ballistic recital that is in-tune with ML ranges that may be shot.

Murdy

WKR
I agree, any scope that will stand up to a little recoil, nothing that special about muzzy's. That said, I do have a Nikon Omega on mine, which is marketed as a muzzy scope, but I don't see anything different about it. Mine is in 1.65 x 5 power, no need to overpower the scope, and keep the option of having a wider field of view, since your probably not going long range hunting with it.

xziang

WKR
I think the dedicated ML scopes as said above are designed for 150gr powder and XX weight bullets and sited in at 100yrds. Then the BDC is suppose to calculate the bullet drop. I know the Nikon is designed to do this. I run this scope on mine but 95% of my shots are 60-80yrds so I haven't touched the true performance of the scope. I've just got it sited in for 100gr of powder.

I've used the Nikon and Bushnell versions--- the Nikon on a slug gun and Bushnell on a muzzleloader.

The nikon 'spot on' program works relatively well as long as you are using a load in the computer.

The Bushnell DOA 250 reticle is easy to see however I would recommend testing the drop data for the reticle on paper and not going off their proposed data. I've found that for the acceptable accuracy range of a modern muzzleloader you can get by with the primary cross hair and next dot down.

tuffcity

WKR
My wife runs a Nikon Omega on hers. Using the 150 gr of powder and a 250 gr bullet its calibrated for, the scope is pretty much on the money for the reticles/distance it says.

peddler

Lil-Rokslider
I have a Nikon Monarch Gold 1.5-6X42 now discontinued on my TC G2. Been on about 10 years still going strong.