Muzzy elk in unit 76 colorado

Rondiesel

FNG
I hate to be the guy asking for a bunch of info about a unit, but I’m gonna have to be that guy. I have the points to draw the tag but just can’t seem to pull the trigger on it. I live in northwest colorado and have hunted 40 a couple times, and am debating that hunt again but have been intrigued by unit 76 for a while. I wouldn’t mind hunting some new country but I’ve spoke with biologists and a few other hunters and have heard mixed results on quality of bulls. Any info at all would be very much appreciated. Im not trying to “steal” anyone’s honey holes, but on a limited hunt such as this,I’d take any info out there. I don’t have horses but wouldn’t mind packing in and spiking out if need be. Again, thanks in advance for anyone willing to help a guy out. If I can return the favor I’d be happy to.

Beendare

WKR
Welcome to the forum Ron. ...you know you won't get a secret spot here right?

Well I've hunted 76...spent about 15 days in there in multiple spots...and have multiple buddies that have also.

Its well known that its a good unit for avg scoring 6 point bulls...most top out in the 240"- 280" range. Now if that ain't good enough for ya I would look somewhere else. Sure there are a few bigger bulls roaming around ...but there is plenty of competition too.

A 350" bull in Co is going to be hard to come by unless you have 20+ points.

We walked a couple horses into the wilderness and did a big loop in there...much further than a guy can backpack in and get one out effectively at 11,000'. FWIW, almost all of the bigger bulls killed in 76 are with a muzzleloader....just ask Sammy Frazier....though I think he retired.

Its a good hunt...beautiful country...but all of CO is beautiful country.

______

OP
R

Rondiesel

FNG
Thanks for the info. I hear ya on the secret spots, and not trying to pry any from anyone. I do appreciate what you said though. I agree that a 350 bull is hard to come by in Colorado, even in those 20 plus point units tbh. I live next to a few of em and personally don’t think they’re worth it. One thing that seems to be consistent across the board though is it’s a fun hunt down there in 76.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
If you want a true backcountry mountain timber hunt, 76 will provide that. It's a big unit and there's nowhere near the number of hunters in it as most units.

If you want an adventure then hunt 76, if you want a chance at a giant bull then hunt 40. It's entirely dependent on what's more important to you.

Elktaco

Lil-Rokslider
My favorite place in Co for elk, unfortunately I will never be able to draw again.....

OP
R

Rondiesel

FNG
Thanks for the input guys. You’re kinda reinforcing what I was already thinking. 76 seems like a cool unit and a great experience. Obviously there are some really nice bulls in there, but seems more of a lot of elk, and smaller caliber bulls in a really cool setting. Being a colorado native, we’re spoiled to get to hunt what we do even in a lot of the general units. with that being said, I don’t know if I wanna cash my points on just an experience. Nothing is ever a guarantee in any unit, but the average quality in 76 keeps me nervous on pulling the trigger if I’m truly wanting better odds at a nicer bull.