MW badger vs. versalite

rkramer

FNG
I’m looking at one of these two bags and can’t seem to find a good answer online. Does anyone know the major differences between these two bags? Obviously there is a 5 degree difference and the versatile is actually slightly cheaper by $15 and lighter by 4 oz. What else am I missing?

jt4

WKR
I looked at these two a good bit along with some others before going with the badger. The badger is a bit wider cut all around, which is also why it has more oz of down. The microfiber is a little heavier than the extreme lite fabric of the Versalite, but it’s also a bit more water resistant.

I think the fact that the Versalite is a smaller cut bag compared to the badger is why it’s a lower temperature rated bag. Less room for the body to heat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
rkramer

rkramer

FNG
I looked at these two a good bit along with some others before going with the badger. The badger is a bit wider cut all around, which is also why it has more oz of down. The microfiber is a little heavier than the extreme lite fabric of the Versalite, but it’s also a bit more water resistant.

I think the fact that the Versalite is a smaller cut bag compared to the badger is why it’s a lower temperature rated bag. Less room for the body to heat.

This is exactly what I was looking for. Thank you.

OP
rkramer

rkramer

FNG

Why did you ultimately end up choosing the badger?

jt4

WKR
Just between the badger and versalite, it was bc of the size/dimensions. I wanted extra room to not feel restricted

The big difference is the fabric. The Versalite uses Extremelite fabric while the Badger uses Microfiber.

Per WM's FAQ...

Extremelite is our lightest fabric, but the least water resistant. Microfiber is far more water resistant and more breathable than Extremelite, just slightly heavier. We consider it a perfect middle ground between weight, durability, water resistance and breathability. Gore WindStopper is the heaviest least breathable fabric however it is multiple times more water resistant than the other two fabrics.

Extremelite is suitable for all 2 season uses and ideal for weight conscious adventurers. The fabric is highly water resistant for the weight and can withstand most condensation summertime users encounter inside tents. Microfiber boasts high versatility due to its increased water resistance and breathability. Cowboy camping? Need something suitable for warm nights and wet nights? Microfiber is ideal. Gore WindStopper is for situations in which you will encounter high moisture or precipitation. These bags are not water proof, but will hold up to any condensation and even light precipitation. Their less breathable shell means they are not ideal for warm nights.

Stats on fabric performance:

Extremelite
Denier: 12
Weight: 0.74 oz/y^2
Hydrostatic head: 1200 mm

Microfiber XP
Denier: 20
Weight: 1.35 oz/y^2
Hydrostatic head: 2000 mm

Gore WindStopper (bags)
Denier: 20
Weight: 1.7 oz/y^2
Hydrostatic head: 12000 mm (yup 3 zero’s)