MW lynx -10 or antelope 5 degree bag

turfking

FNG
Hello all...I have read and read about sleeping bags and am needing some info/advice. I have zeroed it down to purchase the WM antelope 5 or the WM lynx -10 degree bags. I have a mountain hardwear 15, but have been caught in nearly 0 degree weather twice with it and not doing it again. I like how light and packable looking the antelope is, but like the temperature rating on the lynx. Can anyone tell me if the lynx is overkill and if it packs down similar to the antelope?

FYI...I also looked at the Kodiak, but I am 5'9" and at 165 I think I'd float in it. My current setup for backpacking is a Cabelas ultra light tent, recently upgraded to a 4.9R value pad, no heater and I usually sleep cold. I hunt the first rifle for Elk in Colorado (at some point in future the 2nd) and this year the 3rd week of October in Wyoming. Any advice or information would be appreciated before dropping all that coin on a better bag.

Decker9

WKR
I just got in an antelope with overfill, even for winter goat hunts, I wouldn’t hesitate to rely on it, I think. Iv never had a WM bag in my hands before, this puts a new definition in the term loft, and blows my mind that it packs as small as it does. It’s maiden voyage into sheep country is coming up here in a couple days.

I have an Antelope MF (w/overfill) and love it. Just picked up their Megalite for conditions where my Antelope would be overkill.

As far as Lynx vs Antelope, what is the realistic coldest temperature that you'll encounter on a regular basis while using it? If the Lynx's additional warmth will rarely come into play, you may want to consider just wearing some additional clothes to bed. If you are going to need the Lynx's additional warmth on an regular basis, skip over it and go to the Puma. Won't pack down as much and is 5 ounces higher but offers an addition 15 degrees or so of warmth.

Look at WM's FAQ as they have some EN information there; unfortunately nothing for the Lynx. For example, the Antelope's EN numbers are on-par with the Kodiak despite being rated for 5 degrees less.

OP
T

turfking

FNG
Good luck on your sheep hunt Decker9 that sounds like a great adventure! Those temps were only a few days long before warming up to the 20s. I dont have much experience with cold weather bags, but I think I'm going to spring for the Antelope with overfill. Being from a state with no hills, ounces and packability is a big deal. Is hermits hut a good place to order or do you recommend another place?

OP
T

turfking

FNG
Thank you for the information and taking the time to answer my questions. Hope the both of you have a safe and successful hunting season.

pyrotechnic

Lil-Rokslider
I highly recommend the antelope. I had a 6 degree morning in mine this last April and I had to loosen the draft collar that night as it was a bit too toasty for me. Sleeping on a thermarest xtherm in a hilleberg rogen. I was wearing merino tops and bottoms.

Going down to zero I'd bring a woobie or something to throw over the top of it, or maybe just wear my fleece to bed. I usually sleep cold. The WM bags are definitely comfort rated in my experience, sample size of one.