My 1st Elk

Lane Avery

Administrator
I've been waiting all year to shoot an elk. Now came the chance. My dad went low to chase the elk up to us. Within the first 5 minutes I saw about 10. They came and went and I didn't have any time to setup and shoot them. After another hour passed and no sign of elk. My dads friend went with me and called a cow in. I saw him for 1 second and then he ran away. 1 minute passed then I saw another 2. Now here was my chance. I looked down my scope for a second then I squeezed the trigger. The elk dropped like a rock. I was about 20 yards away when I shot the cow. When I came up to the elk it was still breathing. I had to shoot the elk again to put it out of her misery. It was getting dark fast and we were running out of light and time. We cut it in half and put half of it on the front of a ATV and put the other half on the back. It was much easier than packing out the elk. Even though it took an hour to get it where we were going it was well worth it. We stayed up in till 10 o'clock at night skinning the elk. Now that's my story.
SAM_1652.jpg

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
Congratulations Lane! Thanks for sharing your story with us! Have you tried any of your elk yet? I hear its great eating...

Tookeymonster

Lil-Rokslider
That is awesome!! I have been hunting for 3 years with a bow trying to kill on and no elk but had great encounters. I'm rifle hunting this week and its been rough but not giving up.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Very cool Lane!!! Congrats on your elk. Can't believe I missed this thread until now. Congrats again man!!!

Congratulations on a great elk, but then any elk is a great elk! Nice job. She will be some fine eating. Elk meat is one of my favorites. I hope you kept the ivories to do something with!! If nothing else, clean the flesh off, drill a hole in the root of the ivory, and then get a chain or thin leather to wear as a necklace. I think you that would be very cool. What caliber did you use??

David

Awesome! I started out my elk hunting days by filling a cow tag also. This is a excellent way to get into it and fuel the fire. :)