My 2012 Turkey Bowhunt Photo Essay

Thought I'd share a few photos of my 2012 turkey bowhunt.

I have been searching a long time the past few months to lock up some land to hunt turkeys...it finally happened a week ago right after the season opened in Montana. Gained access, belly crawled out to a field edge to scout and put the birds to bed on the roost. 4 am the next morning I was out in the field trying to get to the spot that I picked out the night before to make a blind with sticks and grass...trying to go stealth here as I wanted to setup within 70 yards of the roost.

Got my blind all built and then the waiting game began...around 6am the toms started to shock gobble at the sound of pheasants in the distance. The big tom in the group did not head up to roost with the other birds the night before which made me a bit nervous, as I wasn't able to know where he would be in the morning....turns out he was roosted 10 yards to my right!! It paid off getting there early and being really quite.

I kept it quite until the birds started to fly down from the roost. I picked my spot perfectly! With birds everywhere, and the big tom that was roosting to my right was now attacking my jake decoy and gobbling every chance he had when I was calling to him with my diaphragm call…I made my shot at 25 yards. He was the biggest tom in the group. Instantly a jake came running over and started to attack my tom. So I grabbed my camera and took a bunch of photos of him and made him strut and gobble a few times with my calls.

Great morning of bowhunting!! My tom had a 9 inch beard and ¾ inch spurs.

I was also able to get my friend his first turkey later that afternoon. He made a long 4 hour drive to meet up with me to hunt. He wasn’t able to make the morning hunt, but he ended up getting his tom later that afternoon as we were scouting another field. We glassed up a lone tom, so off he went trying to put a stalk on it. After a long stalk, he finally got close…real close….he made his shot at 5 YARDS!! It was a great show to watch through my binos. He was so happy…and couldn’t stop saying thanks for me taking him out.

Two birds, two arrows…great day living the bowhunting dream! I still have one turkey tag left that is valid for a different part of the state. I might try to hunt them again after a few more weekends of bowhunting spring black bear.

Some hens getting ready to fly down off the roost. These were roughly 80 yards to my left in the morning.
2012TurkeyBowhunt1071-1.jpg

Jake attacking my tom (you can see my arrow in the tom as the jake is tearing him up)
2012TurkeyBowhunt1005-1.jpg

Jake started to have his way with my decoy.
2012TurkeyBowhunt1031-1.jpg

2012TurkeyBowhunt1042-1.jpg

OP
BackcountryBull
Friend's bird's spurs.
2012TurkeyBowhunt1113-1.jpg

End of a great day!!
2012TurkeyBowhunt1109-1.jpg

Friend's 8.5" beard on the left, and my 9" beard on the right.
2012TurkeyBowhunt1121-1.jpg

OP
BackcountryBull
Hope I didn't leave anything out....sorry for all the pictures. Have a ton more I could post, plus a bunch from scouting. Hopefully spring bear with the trusty Hoyt works out as well as this did.

R

rebecca francis

That is so cool! It sounds so exciting! Those are great pics too! It is amazing that your friend got a shot at five yards! Turkey's are so dang hard to sneak up on. You guys were really successful! Congrats!

OP
BackcountryBull
Thanks, Evan! I appreciate it. I am currently using a Canon Rebel T2i. Working on purchasing a few lens upgrades within the next year. It's a great camera for the things I use it for. Always hurts to pack it in the mountains...but I feel it is worth it to share some of the scenery and hunts.

Brady,

What would you take if you could only take in a small point and shoot!?!?! I have a Canon SX20 and room the issue I am worried with and an angry wife!!! :) So I am looking for a smaller point and shoot that is going to still give me the photo quality I am looking for....like what you get!!! I loved going through your FB photos. Exciting colors. Super Vibrant!!! What clothing company are you using?