My 2016 Deer

OP
W

Wyo307

FNG
Part 3 of the story (final part)

Then as all of you guys know all too well the work begins. I had been a while since I had killed something without someone else there to help me with the skinning/field dressing process and man that is a lot more work by yourself, especially the capping part. I decided to actually gut him instead of my normal quartering to try to make it easier to move him in the capping process. I got him capped then quartered and into game bags and then carried those over into the shade and snow. The first trip out I took all of my gear, and both hind quarters. Then once I got all the way back (2.5 miles or so) I dumped as much weight as possible. I got a quick snack in before heading back up with an empty pack. I decided that I was just going to buck up and get the rest of him out on that trip so I ended up packing out both his fronts, backstraps, tender loins, the head and cape on that trip. That was one heavy load, he was a very big bodied deer! I was able to snap a few pictures on the way out with that load and I don't look like I'm in that much pain lol. That creek crossing was a little hairy with that much weight on my back though. On a side note the kuiu ultra system performed very well with that much weight which was nice.

In the end I couldn't be any happier with him. He is one of the better bucks that I have ever killed and the circumstances that it all went down made for a hunt that I will remember for years to come. Grandpa was looking out for me on this one!