My 2019 blacktail

wentrot

FNG
Wanted to share my British Columbia blacktail I got in September. Not big but I am not a picky man and it ended up being quite unique when I flipped it over. I had been watching this one along with the bigger deer in the photos in the weeks leading up to the season opening. Three point vanished so hopefully I can catch up with him in 2020.50D64281-7D21-4CA9-8FC1-6C40ED828B80.jpeg958B5C8A-133A-4162-AD90-65F194876F0B.jpegA7989441-2DC4-4839-95A2-41230D72C80A.jpeg6A5B6D5A-69B8-4D49-BCF9-6DE6FD62A4EC.jpeg94222F2B-7CEC-4423-84CC-BE6D57ADB556.jpeg

Last edited:
congrats! what was the scenario? lets hear a few details of the hunt, what weapon? when are the seasons in BC?

in the future, one of my main hunting goals in life is to hunt blacktail in every region they call home, from high country California BT (way different than ours and yours) to chasing sitka blacktail in a couple different areas in AK, and everything in between... BC is certainly included

I know that may seem like a lackluster goal considering what game we can hunt in and out of country, but I would rather chase Blacktail in new country than about anything else.... they are cool critters, and a Cali BT and a Sitka BT are completely different critters.

i will not lie, i love chasing roosies with my bow in September, but if i had to choose, elk or blacktail hunting, and meat wasn't a factor, i would probably pick blacktail (thank goodness i don't have to make choices like that! ;) )

again, and congrats! would like to hear more about BT in your region, seasons and strategies, and how your hunt played out

OP
W

wentrot

FNG
We have a very big window here. Sept1-9 is youth/archery season and sept 10-Dec 15 it is open for rifle. 2 bag limit. Took a lot of work to finally start getting one blacktail each year but my skills, luck or both are starting to improve and I am seeing more bucks each year. Scout, scout, scout!

Myself and my hunting partner were set up for first light and I spotted the deer very briefly pop out of the timber and feed along the edge of the cut. It was around 300 yards in low light with no good rest at the time so we made the decision to move a bit closer for a more comfortable shot as I am far from a long range guy.

We ended up having a short lived panic as we got in position and remembered how easy these buggers can vanish. Fortunately we spotted it bedded down a short distance away and I was able to make the shot-via the trusty Kimber hunter.

got er cut up and loaded-very impressed with my mystery ranch mule pack, hunting partner also got to try out his new mystery ranch pop up. Worked great!81C62818-F122-47E4-AFFD-BFBC032AB793.jpeg70CEE8E8-1A3F-4163-BC03-72B507DD67A0.jpeg

Last edited:

JasonWi

WKR
Congrats! Very beautiful buck.

Blacktails are such a challenge and it becomes addictive trying to outsmart the bigger ones.

We have a very big window here. Sept1-9 is youth/archery season and sept 10-Dec 15 it is open for rifle. 2 bag limit. Took a lot of work to finally start getting one blacktail each year but my skills, luck or both are starting to improve and I am seeing more bucks each year. Scout, scout, scout!

Myself and my hunting partner were set up for first light and I spotted the deer very briefly pop out of the timber and feed along the edge of the cut. It was around 300 yards in low light with no good rest at the time so we made the decision to move a bit closer for a more comfortable shot as I am far from a long range guy.

We ended up having a short lived panic as we got in position and remembered how easy these buggers can vanish. Fortunately we spotted it bedded down a short distance away and I was able to make the shot-via the trusty Kimber hunter.

got er cut up and loaded-very impressed with my mystery ranch mule pack, hunting partner also got to try out his new mystery ranch pop up. Worked great!View attachment 154105View attachment 154106
excellent! hard to beat hunting blacktail! pretty country too.... that's awesome on season lengths. those Kimber hunters are nice rifles for chasing blacktail, very handy and the one I had shot really well.

that looks like a good cut for a stormy rainy day, either on their feet or bedded in the cut mid morning.

OP
W

wentrot

FNG
Nope, antlered doe. First I’ve seen around here. Wish I knew what caused it to occur.

Pwb199

Lil-Rokslider
Have yet to find an antlered lady around here! Congrats, that’s a rare find

ramses342

FNG
in the future, one of my main hunting goals in life is to hunt blacktail in every region they call home, from high country California BT (way different than ours and yours) to chasing sitka blacktail in a couple different areas in AK, and everything in between... BC is certainly included
I would advise doing an early season alpine for Sitka Blacktail and a rut first week of November hunt. Very different types of hunting and it is super cool terrain.

I would advise doing an early season alpine for Sitka Blacktail and a rut first week of November hunt. Very different types of hunting and it is super cool terrain.
I don't know I could get myself to shoot a velvet sitka BT, I don't like velvet antlers, and pre rut/rut, those bucks turn into the prettiest deer in the world.... maybe some day i'll chase alpine bucks, because it is trophy terrain, but first will be either Kodiak, or more likely the muskegs of POW trying to kill one of those neon orange racked bucks around there.

it will be Halloween-Nov 10th-ish, whatever I can swing at the time. next trip will likely be Kodiak, because those are different deer (Kodiak vs POW) they're shaped different, and much different habits.

I may hunt the alpine bucks, but it will be after a couple late fall trips first. those POW bucks are the prettiest caped deer there are

that alpine country looks amazing scenery wise.... probably the coolest deer habitat anywhere. be really fun stalking with a stick bow.... almost more like high country mule deer hunting

you are absolutely right though.... very different deer, even being the same deer. it's crazy their habits change so much from august-november... same critters

Last edited: