My 2019 goat

OP
as.ks.ak

as.ks.ak

WKR
How does the old boy taste?

NOT GOOD. All, yes ALL of him was made into burger. and I saved 15lbs to do summer sausage with. The dog wouldn’t even eat the scraps until they’d been smoked. He was definitely rutty, and a tough old SOB. Tastes exactly how he smells. A magnificent trophy and something I’m incredibly proud of. Just not something that shines in the freezer as well. I guess if he’s gonna be good in the hide and horn department, I get what I get in the freezer department. We’ll eat him happily, he’s just not nearly as palatable as the nanny from last year!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NOT GOOD. All, yes ALL of him was made into burger. and I saved 15lbs to do summer sausage with. The dog wouldn’t even eat the scraps until they’d been smoked. He was definitely rutty, and a tough old SOB. Tastes exactly how he smells. A magnificent trophy and something I’m incredibly proud of. Just not something that shines in the freezer as well. I guess if he’s gonna be good in the hide and horn department, I get what I get in the freezer department. We’ll eat him happily, he’s just not nearly as palatable as the nanny from last year!

Damn, that's a bummer to hear for sure.

It happens. I've shot two Bighorn Rams, one in August, one in November the latter was un-edible, the August sheep was good. The problem with meat like that is it doesn't matter what you make out of it, piss meat = piss burgers.

NMO

FNG

This recipe works great for old smelly goats, and probably any other tough/rutted meats. Particularly good with shanks and other sinewy cuts.

Pulled Chiptole Mtn Goat

INGREDIENTS
  • 3lbs tough wild game roast
  • 1 large spanish onion, thinly sliced
  • 5 cloves of garlic, minced
  • 3 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1 1/2 cups peeled tomatoes, blended
  • 1/2 cup Worcestershire sauce
  • 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
  • 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
  • 1 tablespoon brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup ketchup
  • 1 tablespoon chili powder
  • 1 canned chipotle pepper in adobo
  • Salt and pepper to taste

INSTRUCTIONS
  • Season the meat generously with salt and pepper.
  • In a large cast iron skillet, over medium high heat, heat the olive oil and, once smoking hot, brown the meat on all sides until golden brown.
  • Transfer the browned brisket to your slow cooker, fat side up.
  • Back in the skillet, lower the heat to medium low and add some more olive oil if necessary. Add the onions and garlic and sauté for about 10 minutes or until the onions have caramelized. Transfer to the slow cooker.
  • In a medium sized bowl, combine the blended tomatoes, the Worcestershire sauce, the vinegar, the mustard, the brown sugar, the ketchup and the chili powder, whisking everything together until smooth. Pour the sauce into the brisket in the slow cooker.
  • Finally, add a whole chipotle pepper to the slow cooker and cover. Cook on low for 9 hours, until the brisket is fork tender.
  • Discard the chipotle pepper and take the brisket out of the slow cooker.
  • Shred the brisket using two forks and bring it back to the slow cooker. Cover and cook for one more hour.

West.mass.hunter

Lil-Rokslider
That's awesome man, congrats. I admire you mountain hunters, I know I couldn't do half of that. Flatlander here